Cheap 308 hunting rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking for a cheap 308 bolt hunting rifle. I'd prefer to stay around the $300 -$500 range. I'm putting nice glass on it, so I don't want to spend a fortune on the rifle.

I've looked around at several brands and some of these guys want $700 + for a basic hunting rifle. That just seems too high to me.

I don't want a piece of junk, but I don't want to break the bank either. I'm planning on doing trigger work on whatever gun I get, unless it's a savage accu trigger.

Any thoughts on stevens rifles?

Any suggestions?

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had planned on using the 300 win mag for an elk trip that never happened.

The recoil isn't that bad, but I could load a 308 to be an all purpose gun i.e 110 grains all the way up to 200 grains.

I may keep the 300 win mag after all. I went to the gun store today and they had a savage edge for $260 and a marlin rifle for $250. They were both 308's. The guy behind the counter said they are both really solid rifles and would work perfect for hunting rifles.

I may just go with one of those.

StammesOpfer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the Marlin XS7 in 308. It is a wonderful rifle I also have a stevens in 270 to compare it too. The marlin has a better stock not by much but a little. The trigger is where the marlin shines compared to the stevens it is adjustable and really very good. If you do get a marlin you need to grind down two little pads that make contact with the barrel towards the front but after it is floated you have a very accurate cheap rifle with a good trigger. The tikka's are very nice too with a pretty good trigger out of the box and the bolt is smooth as butter.

tdkitch

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the Tika. I happen to own this very gun chambered in .308 and have been nothing short of pleased with it taking deer and pigs from decent ranges. This rilfe I picked up for 450 with a scope. The action is great (i think a bit better than my rem 700 30 06.

Latest posts

Top Bottom