My new to me, old to the family Marlin .22 pump

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonFrankMc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, you are going to hate me for not having more info on the little gun because I left it in my dad's safe for the time being. But here is the great story...at least to me.

When I was a kid I would always go to my grandparent's house and I would clean his long arms that he had in the shop. One was an M1 and the other was a Marlin .22 pump. I cleaned this gun multiple multiple times as I grew up. This past Sunday, Easter, I went to visit him and he said "Jon, I want you to have that little .22 you cleaned all those years. I know you will take the best care of it and I would love for you to have it." I was completely caught of guard but I said thank you thank you very much and went to get it. I didn't have much time to look it over to get info so at this point all I can recall is it's a Marlin .22 pump that has the date 1908 stamped into it. I need to try and find the model number on it.

Now here is the part that I hope most of you see the honor in. This gun was purchased by my great grandfather, it was the rifle my grandfather learned to hunt with, My dad used it as a child and now it is in my possession! This little gun have now gone through 4 generations and I am completely honored!

Once I find the model number (I could pick it out if I saw pics on the internet) I will let ya'll know so you can hopefully tell me some background on it.

I just had to let everyone know my excitement. If anyone has insight ot what it might be I can look for a pic and confirm it.

That is all!!
Jonathan

YakBasser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Totally Cool!!! There's an OLD Remington Pump .22 that's been through our family too. My Dad has it now, and I get to shoot it quite a bit, but hopefully one day..................................:rubhands:

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those family guns are absolutely priceless!

I agree, there's a few that have made it down through my family for a couple generations and they may not be very valuable on a market level but they are definately valuable as a keepsake and will never be sold to find out if they have any value.
Great story, your kids will enjoy and remember learning to shoot with it too I hope.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, there's a few that have made it down through my family for a couple generations and they may not be very valuable on a market level but they are definately valuable as a keepsake and will never be sold to find out if they have any value.
Great story, your kids will enjoy and remember learning to shoot with it too I hope.

This right here.
Never sell it or you'll kick yourself the rest of your life.:faint:

JonFrankMc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am extremely happy. my kids will learn to shoot with it. My dad already told me to remember where the gun has came from and that he expects to see his grandchildren shooting it!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it is a Model 37 hang on to it. They are fairly rare and one in good condition goes for between 5 and 6 hundred.

I have an old one I picked up somewhere that is missing a few parts and so far I have not been able to find them. I am almost ready to sell it as a parts gun out of frustration. Hang on to yours and be careful taking it down.

EDIT: I double checked mine to be sure, if it is a Model 37 it will be on top of the receiver tang.

JonFrankMc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, since the gun is at my dad's house in Texas I had my sister read the numbers on it. I told her to look on the top tang for the model number and she said it was a model 47. My research shows that the 47 is semi rare pump so I am going to have her take a second look. The patent year reads March 24, 1908. Behind the trigger is 3915.

Update: She says she is confident that it is a Model 47. Does anyone have any info on this gun?

Latest posts

Top Bottom