Difference of POI in similar surplus ammo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlau90us

Marksman
Reaction score
Hey guys, new member here and this is my first post...

I need to refresh my ammo supply of 7.62x51 and I was curious about how big of a difference in point-of-impact similar grain surplus ammos will have. Currently I have South African 147gr .308 but there is German surplus .308 on AIMsurplus I'm also looking at.

If I have different types of 147gr .308 will I have to worry about re-zeroing my optics every time I decide to throw a magazine of different ammo in?

Common sense tells me all types of bullets will have different POI's but I figure they're all supposed to be fairly similar since they are NATO spec rounds right?

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about 7.62x51, but it can definitely vary quite a bit with 8mm Mauser or 7.62x54R from different countries. I would guess 7.62x51 would be built to a NATO standard and be pretty consistent.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, new member here and this is my first post...

I need to refresh my ammo supply of 7.62x51 and I was curious about how big of a difference in point-of-impact similar grain surplus ammos will have. Currently I have South African 147gr .308 but there is German surplus .308 on AIMsurplus I'm also looking at.

If I have different types of 147gr .308 will I have to worry about re-zeroing my optics every time I decide to throw a magazine of different ammo in?

Common sense tells me all types of bullets will have different POI's but I figure they're all supposed to be fairly similar since they are NATO spec rounds right?

SA is not Nato spec and will be different POI than the German.

jlau90us

Marksman
Reaction score
Oh ok, but as long as ammo has the NATO stamp on it, they should be made to the same standards and therefore, same trajectories? I didn't realize SA wasn't NATO... I just assumed it was because it was listed as .308 NATO round.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With 7.62 NATO especially, there is a difference between 'machine gun' rounds designed to be run full-tilt through a fully automatic weapon, and the other rounds intended to be run through MBRs.

For example, German MEN stamped 7.62 NATO are unbelted machine gun rounds. The POI can be found all over the map. It's not inaccurate by any means, but the POI just doesn't train in one direction. It burns a bit hot, I imagine due the difference in actions between a MG and MBR.

Latest posts

Top Bottom