Altus-Lugert WMA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So I'm headed back to my old stomping grounds in Altus on Saturday for business and thought I'd take advantage of being in Western Oklahoma and try out Altus-Lugert WMA. Anyone familiar with it and or have any reports recently from there as to how the turkey population is? I'll only have half a day there, so I don't have time to do scouting beforehand. I have looked over the map from the ODWC website though, so if all else fails I'll just pick a spot and try my luck.

Cheers!

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have spent alot of time there and have never seen any turkeys or even tracks. I hunt the area south of the highway along the lake. I havent spent much time in the upper area. Im sure they are there, but the area has alot of dogs on the loose and a hefty bobcat population. Those are probably hurting the populations

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have spent alot of time there and have never seen any turkeys or even tracks. I hunt the area south of the highway along the lake. I havent spent much time in the upper area. Im sure they are there, but the area has alot of dogs on the loose and a hefty bobcat population. Those are probably hurting the populations

I might just save my energy if that's the case. I remember as a kid when I would ride the bus out to school (it was a rural school), there were always turkeys in the field that is just north of the runway at the base. I used to think it was so cool because that was the first time I had ever seen wild turkeys before.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hope you got those pics. I sent them while I was in class from my iphone. they were taken this past deer season. I ahve some from a few years back, but ill have to look for them. Its definately a cool area it just lacks an abundance of turkeys.

Ill send you a map tomorrow of where that well is. It makes me wonder what used to be in the area. The old stories of teh town of Frank Lugert and the town Lugert Oklahoma are interesting. I came across something strange a few months back in an oklahoma treasure book I was reading. It talked about a military solider being discovered on the north west shore of lake altus lugert. It said the waves had eroded the soil enough to expose some toe bones. Kinda creeped me out. That is exactly where I hunt>>>>>
Story is he died in an unfortunate hunting accident and was burried on teh spot.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A deer or two gets taken in archery season, but it is grossly overhunted in gun season. There is a turkey flock that gets into the northern end in the off season.

Dogs running loose all year on Lugert are out of control.

The turkey flock that was just north of the base has been destroyed by roost shooters poaching on the posted roost site. "Trophy mania" has caused an increase in poaching and roost shooting, which destroys the sport. Large areas of private land along the river have been bought by a few absentee individuals.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A deer or two gets taken in archery season, but it is grossly overhunted in gun season. There is a turkey flock that gets into the northern end in the off season.

Dogs running loose all year on Lugert are out of control.

The turkey flock that was just north of the base has been destroyed by roost shooters poaching on the posted roost site. "Trophy mania" has caused an increase in poaching and roost shooting, which destroys the sport. Large areas of private land along the river have been bought by a few absentee individuals.

Thats horrible. Hopefully the warden can get some of that under control. The dogs are out of control. I have only been up to the upper portion a few times and both times there was at least one dog there to greet me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom