Remington 1100 deep cleaning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dahirolla

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've just disassymbled my 1970's-ish 1100. It doesn't look like it's been cleaned in a while. It has a wooden stock and forearm. What's the best way to get it really clean w/o damaging the woodwork? There are lots of little places that evade my cloth and pick.

Thanks,

dahirolla

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks. What about solvent soaking and such for the trigger assembly, etc?

I've also been cautioned against over oiling the gas mechanism. How do I know how much oil to use?

dahirolla

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
come on...I know there's plenty of knowledge out there on this.

what's the best way to get the trigger assembly crap-free? Should I soak it over-night in a solvent? If so, what solvent?

Once I've blow dried it with my air compressor, how much of what sort of oil do I use?

green country shooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i have two 1100s, one is my dad's bought about 1960, god knows how many rounds we have through it. I have never soaked the trigger assembly, i just wipe down visible surfaces on the assembly and lightly oil it with rem oil.

As far as everything else, i disassemble all wood and the barrel and clean with hoppes, then lightly oil the gas assembly with rem oil as well. YOu asked "how much?" a lightly oiled patch club rubbed over it is plenty, one or two drops total.

Replace the gas piston seal rings, that's the most important regular maintenance to do, other than cleaning.

The reason you don't want too much oil on the gas assembly is that it gets incredibly dirty, and the oil gums it up even faster, but you need a little oil on it. I would recommend putting a rag in the end of the mag tube so you don't get oil or crud down in it.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Disassemble it and soak it in simple green or crud kutter for a few minutes.

Then use a toothbrush on it to get the loosened dried grease off of it.

Next dry it off and spray it down with Break Free.

Use a small art brush and spread grease on the mating surfaces as you reassemble it.

If you don't have the guts to take it apart then take it to Traxxis or bring it to me, either one of us can do it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom