Accidental Discharge Stories????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwinok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don’t know if this has ever been covered or not? Just curious if anyone has had or would share their stories of their accidental discharge (s). Thought it might help others avoid the same mistake.

My one and only was about 27 years ago. Newly married and my grand paw had given me his 12ga pump shotgun. I was going to show the wife how to chamber a round incase she ever needed too. Standing in the bedroom with the muzzle pointed up I racked the slide. Next thing I knew was my ears were ringing and I could smell burnt powder. I looked up and there was a nice round 2” hole in the ceiling sheet rock. The next thing I did was take the shotgun outside to clear the remaining rounds out of it. Then I went into the attic to see what damage I had done to the roof! I got lucky! The blast had gone into the side of a joist and did not exit the roof.

mkivbb

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
about 6-7 years ago i was at a range in the country with my friend, we were packing up to leave, so i removed an empty mag from my XD, pointed it at the ground to dryfire & de-cock it for storage as i usually did, and boom.

since the mag was empty, it didnt even occur to me to press-check the slide to verify that the chamber was empty.

my friend and myself were not pleased. lol. nice little scare. the target round just buried itself in the dirt a few feet from us.

evern since then, i've been a super-nazi when it comes to range safety.

raymill

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got one for you. In April 2005 I was preparing to deploy to Iraq, well the morning I was suppose to leave I got up early had a cup of coffee and was reading the paper enjoying the last free morning. The wife has a XD 9mm and asked me to show her how to disasseble it so she could clean it if she went to the range while I was gone, she brought it from the bedroom and I proceeded to disassemble said weapon assuming she dropped magazine and cleared weapon before giving me the pistol like a dumbass I didnt even check and began by locking slide to rear and flipping up slide release lever, as we all know you have to pull trigger to to get the slide to come off, well it caught the top round and BOOM it went. Story dosent end there folks, when I pulled the slide off, the meaty part of my palm was over the muzzle and a 147gr winchester ranger sxt went right through my hand almost taking of my finger, but wait the plot thickens the bullet exits my hand and hits my wife in the knee. a couple surgeries for the wife and a few stitches for myself and all is good now. It doesnt matter how many safties and loaded chamber indicators there are on a firearm if you are complacent like my wife and I were a Negligent discharge will happen. Hope everyone takes a little from this story

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Accidental Discharge: Gun fires due to mechanical failure or defect.

Negligent Discharge: Shooter has finger on trigger and unintentionally or mistakenly pulls trigger.

So if you had your booger hook on the bang switch and fired the gun when you should not have, don't go calling it accidental. That's negligence.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never had a negligent discharge, or accidental discharge. However, I might have saved a few from having them. I worked part time at Academy Sports and Outdoors (81st St store in Tulsa) for a while right after it opened. One of the things I'd do in the mornings would be to receive new guns and get them ready for display. Wipe down the outsides, etc., and put them in the rack. I had an extra step I'd usually take. Just something I liked to do, but isn't done as store policy. I'd check over the firearm, cock it, put the safety on, and pull the trigger to make sure the safety worked. In the year and a half that I worked there, I had 3 brand new, name brand, guns go "click"! The manager had to send them back to the factory for repair.

It was store policy that once a gun left the store, they wouldn't take it back. If someone had an issue, they had to return the gun to the factory for warranty work on their dime. So at least it saved three people from having to do that. But how many people actually check their new guns for that?

Latest posts

Top Bottom