Accidental Discharge Stories????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No accidental discharges for me... but did have a close one that scared the crap out of me.

when I first got my 340PD, it was normal to dry fire a couple hundred times a night.

I'd unload my self defense rounds by opening cylinder. turn upside down, dumping out five rounds. did this exact same motion hundred of times.

it was habit to constantly double check pistol was unloaded before starting dry firing. backed up by never point pistol at anything you don't want destroyed.

well those good habits saved my bacon... after unloading shells... before I started dry firing.... double checked again.

to my HORROR a single round was stuck in the cylinder. Had I started to dry fire without double checking... would have resulted in an accidental discharge.

SCARED the crap out of me!!!
my ingrained safety habits saved my butt. Now instead of dumping out rounds by gravity. I'll push the shell ejector for a dead positive unload.

the never point weapon at anything you don't want destroyed rule would have also saved me even with an AD...

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not having had one of my own, but have been within close proximity to two. Both took place after quarterly quals with my department, and both by the same officer. He still works there I don't! Trust me, you don't want to be is a small room when a .45acp round starts bouncing around.

Kracka00

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was about 18 years old with a friend at the plinking range at Red Castle. We were shooting random items brought from home (this is/was allowed at the time). My friend and i were sharing the shot gun, passing it back and forth and standing clear of each other as we fired. If you've ever been to red castle then you know the seating at the ranges are essentially 3-4 foot long railroad ties cemented vertically in the ground.

While standing up shooting the rifle my friend interupted me to ask a question, as i turned around with the shotgun already locked and loaded finger off the trigger and weapon aiming up at the sky (i know should have had it aiming downward) i took a step backward tripped/fell over the railroad tie gun leaves my hand, friend runs for his life, the gun falls on its butt and fires off the chambered shell, thankfully friend scurried from danger in time to avoid buckshot to the leg. Shot a nice hole in the wood fence behind the shooting area and peppered the bed of my fathers truck.

All in all minor damage compared to what could have potentially been the result.

Bootleggn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cleaning a relatives tommy gun on my kitchen table when all of a sudden there was a loud echoing bang and pillow "stuffing" hovering in mid air. I cleared the rifle and even visually inspected. Somehow the steel casing was rusted into the chamber and not viewable in the amount of light I had at that table. Believe it or not the Christmas tree was in front of a large window and the center post of that tree is what stopped the round. Later while going through Christmas presents I found the slug right there under the tree. True story....

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never had one, but could see how a moment of carelessness could happen if you get complacent. Been around two negligent discharges, one of them almost cost me my job.

First one was a member of my family that was in his room with his buddy. He was a Armored Car guard, and had taken off his XD, and showing it to his friend. He had unloaded it, cleared it, and then with the slide back, loaded the mag with the heel of his hand hard enough it engaged the slide. To this day he does not know how it happened, but I am sure he must have had his finger in the trigger guard when the slide went forward, because it went off, shooting through two walls and killing my scanner on my desk. I took it out and tried to recreate it, to see if it was a gun issue, but it didn't. I am sure he had his finger in the trigger guard.

Second one was a company pheasant hunt. Went out for the morning hunt, came in for lunch, and several of the guys had several beers. They were not the most gun savvy before lunch, and as they were loading up in the van, I told them I was not going out in the field with them, including my boss, with loaded guns after they had been drinking. Got lots of grief, called some colorful names, accused of not being a team player, etc. I stayed at the lodge, and as they drove down the driveway, there was a speedbump. They must have been going fast enough to bump the van around, because as they went over it, I heard a shot, and saw something on the top of the van. They stopped immediately, got out, unloaded all the guns, and went on their way. They never said another word to me all the way home......

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've told this one here before but because it is important I will tell it again.

There was a bunch of us kids that ran around together in junior high (middle school for you young'uns). One of the fellas got a shotgun for Christmas. His dad took the gun out of the box and loaded it to test fire it before wrapping the gun up and putting it under the tree. Fast forward to Christmas Day ...

Gun gets unwrapped and passed around. Later in the day when friends show up, the gun get brought out. While Mom gets ready to take a picture in front of the Christmas tree this kid's best friend picks up the shotgun, aims it at his buddy and pulls the trigger. Apparently dad had not unloaded the gun before he put it back in the box. My friend bleeds out before the ambulance can get there while my other friend watches his best buddy die.

Be careful guys. All guns are loaded guns.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
First time, I had an ugly little Mac11 (380ACP). Stuck the mag in and pulled the bolt back (fired from an open bolt) and when I pushed the saftey, it went off. Finger was no where near the trigger when it happened. Gun was pointed in a safe direction but an "oh crap" moment all the same.

Second was not so much an accidental or negligent discharge. Had a hang fire in one of my Beretta O/U shotguns. Shooting trap and when I pulled the trigger, I heard a "click". As I took my gun down from shoulder, I was trying to remember if I need to count to thirty or seventeen thousand and nine when it went off.

Third time was after I had been on the road for a couple of months and when I got home and saw my wife I ....

RedRiverAmmo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few I know of...

My buddies dad was doing somethibg w/ his 3006. He was in his living room and fired it in to the concrete. Fllor spraying concrete chips into the legs of his young son.

Guys from my high school see a coyote running across a field and one trys to jump out and take a shot at it, but not before sending a 3030 round into the floor. if I recall correctly, they had to drive home in reverse.

Friends brother was crossing a fense w/ a loaded 12 singleshot. He dropped it and it fired. Could have easily taken one our feet off.

And finally mine. I have a hair trigger 22 revolver that has a long heavy DA pull, but single action is crazy light. So thankfully I have a rule that I don't cock it until I am aimed and ready to shot. Well one day I aimed at my target and decided to readjust my grip. I shot before I was ready and missed the target by about three feet.

The other close call was not a discharge, but it was close. I was just a kid and was deer hunting during black powder season. It was really cold for that time of year. I had big gloves on. I saw some deer moving through so I cocked(prematurely obviously) the gun. I was sitting in an old concrete water tank. After I cocked it I started to move it into firing position from where it was laying across my lap. Stupid! Either I hung it on my clothes or pulled the trigger with one of my gloved fingers. The hammer dropped and thank God my glove was between the hammer and cap. The barrel was about 3 inches from the concrete wall I was sitting next to. Those deer passed and never knew I was there before I was in any condition to hold the gun steady.

Latest posts

Top Bottom