Concealed weapon in private business

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the Ok law give you the right to defend yourself with leathal force, it does not address how the weapon got there and is not intended to. It only gives the person the ability to defend themselves if they are threatened instead of having to retreat from the situation.

I would much rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6 in any situation that involves me having to legally defend my life or my families life.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and shall not apply to an owner or proprietor of the establishment having a pistol, rifle, or shotgun on the premises.
IANAL but it seems reasonable to me that one could make a very strong argument for an employee who is alone and the sole employee present at a business open to the public being the current/acting proprietor. If that is true then you can carry at the business. IANAL

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. My coworker and I were just having a discussion today about what would happen if we were to be robbed. I'm planning on getting my license, just trying to get out from under student loans etc first. Also, jej, I transport my weapon in the manner which I understand it to be legal, that is, unloaded and in it's case. I'm not mistaken in that, am I?

Doesn't SDA require the case to be locked? I dunno. Look it up. There is a sticky at the top of this forum that contains the SDA.

I have a CCW permit, so the rules are different for me. That's my point - with the CCW, you can carry ready to deploy. Without CCW, not so much.

jej

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IANAL but it seems reasonable to me that one could make a very strong argument for an employee who is alone and the sole employee present at a business open to the public being the current/acting proprietor. If that is true then you can carry at the business. IANAL

Might seem reasonable. Doesn't mean you won't get fired if caught.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Without a permit, the only legal way to transport a firearm in Oklahoma is to have it out, in plain sight, with the ammunition located in a seperate compartment, unattainable by any person in the vehicle. This is why rifles in gun racks (not seen as much now days) is legal.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive moved a few times over the years and have had to wait in between while waiting to get my permit in the new state I moved to. In Oklahoma when I first moved here and was waiting on my permit,when out driving around after having been to the range or whatever I always carried the pistol out of reach sitting on the backseat of my Blazer with the case unzipped and it laying open with the loaded mags in the console. Now,I probably could have stretched a little to reach it in case I needed it,but I always made sure I wasnt within any kind of easily reachable distance just in case I got pulled over.

I had a wreck at 71st and Mingo in my car during my waiting period,a girl in a Navigator came thru the light and Tboned me,totalling my Nissan 300ZX. I had just been to the range at Tulsa Firearms and my range bag was in the back seat with 3 unloaded pistols in it but the boxes of ammo were still in the bag instead of in my trunk,even though no mag was loaded up. So I'm sitting on the side of the road with a broken leg waiting on the ambulance and my wife. I told the cop about the guns and ammo in the bag. He didnt even go over and check them out. I told him that I had just been to the range and I was sure scared to tell him too because the ammo was in the same bag as the pistols,although I had no loaded mags. He was cool though. I told him I had had my permit in California then moved to Iowa where I got a permit, and now was in waiting for my Oklahoma permit. He said dont sweat it. When my wife got there she transferred them to her trunk. I'm pretty sure I was not fully in compliance tho with the ammo in the same bag as the guns and they were zipped up inside the bag and not in sight,even though it was obviously a range bag if you knew what one was.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Without a permit, the only legal way to transport a firearm in Oklahoma is to have it out, in plain sight, with the ammunition located in a seperate compartment, unattainable by any person in the vehicle. This is why rifles in gun racks (not seen as much now days) is legal.

Danny

Your statement is simply not true.

TITLE 21 § 1289.7. Firearms in vehicles

FIREARMS IN VEHICLES

Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and unloaded,
at any time. For purposes of this section “open” means the firearm is transported in plain view, in a case designed for
carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, in an exterior locked
compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.

Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle or shotgun concealed behind a seat
of the vehicle or within the interior of the vehicle provided the rifle or shotgun is not clip, magazine or chamber loaded.

The authority to transport a clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun shall be pursuant to Section 1289.13 of this title.

Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is
licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 26 of this act, to carry a concealed handgun
and is carrying a concealed handgun or has concealed the handgun in such vehicle, shall not be deemed in violation of
the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

TITLE 21 § 1289.13. Transporting a loaded firearm

TRANSPORTING A LOADED FIREARM

Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it
shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a land borne motor vehicle over a public highway or
roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when
transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the
vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid
handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

Any person convicted of a violation of this section shall be punished as provided in Section 1289.15 of this title.

Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is
licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry a concealed handgun and is carrying a concealed handgun
or has concealed a handgun or rifle or shotgun in such vehicle shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this
section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be smart and get a CCW license then carry concealed and don't ask or tell anyone anything and remember forgivness is easier to get than permission.

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

JHorst

New to the site!
Reaction score
I got my ccw license without taking the class. I work as an armed security officer and got a waiver for the license when I finsihed the armed portion of my C.L.E.E.T training. As cleet exceeds the states requirements on training I didnt need to take the class but am still a bit fuzzy on cerytain parts. I carry my xdm 40 as my duty pistol at work. Its a bit too big to totally conceal unless I wear a very baggy shirt. The grip sticks out quite a bit even tho you cant see the gun visually. I guess legally I cant carry it as you can still detect that I have it? Is that true? I am looking for maybe getting a subcompact or revolver. Any thoughts on the subject would help.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Wrong.

And not only is the post above correct reagrding transport but there was a case recently within the last couple of years where an indivdual under 21years old had a pistol on the passenger seat or center console unloaded with the action locked open and a loaded magazine sitting next to it, he was attacked in his vehicle and shot the attacker and walked away justifiable homocide and it was determined he was transporting his weapon in a legal manner.

It was BA or Talequah don't remember much about it, I think it was posted here on OSA as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom