Last chance turkey weekend - can anyone help?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saturday will be my last chance to hunt, and they are gone from my huntin grounds, I'm pretty sure.

So can anyone accept a payment to put me on a roost (or close) pretty much anywhere in the state? Say, $50 to let me hunt one day, and an additional $50 if I bag one, something like that?

Thanks. Otherwise, I guess I'll just hit Black Kettle.....

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wish I could help, but I'm in the same boat. I'll probably hit some public land and hope everyone else has given up.

Best public land bird I ever got was killed on the last weekend about a mile from the closest road.

Good luck!!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may be in the same boat. I did the run and gun on my place Monday, and never got a gobble in response.
This will be the first season in many if I draw a blank.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am sorry I can't help you on the roost deal. I just drove out after sun up and glassed open areas near cover for lone toms or a more toms than hens. The first group did gobble and come in. The last I had to put the sneak on em. If it is really sunny and warm in the afternoon you can find them in the shade. There are several acres of public land in western oklahoma. Just drive around till you spot the turkeys worth ambushing. That is what I did last weekend.

Oh and if you have any luck, we can share a 12 pack, no need to pay me.

Reaction score
Ain't no turkey on Black Kettle...

264, I know, there ain't none now, cuz you done went and kilt the last one:

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86977

:)

I'll meet you at the zoo parking lot. Bring the cash...

Ok, sounds good. And you'll bring the map to your land, right? Does it look a lot like this one?

[Broken External Image]

I am sorry I can't help you on the roost deal. I just drove out after sun up and glassed open areas near cover for lone toms or a more toms than hens. The first group did gobble and come in. The last I had to put the sneak on em. If it is really sunny and warm in the afternoon you can find them in the shade. There are several acres of public land in western oklahoma. Just drive around till you spot the turkeys worth ambushing. That is what I did last weekend.

Oh and if you have any luck, we can share a 12 pack, no need to pay me.

Sounds good; thank you sir, but with all the vegetation late in the season, it might be pretty hard to spot them. I will probably end up going to Black Kettle Sat & Sun morning (walk & spot & stalk, though, not drive & spot & stalk). Which black kettle unit?

I may be in the same boat. I did the run and gun on my place Monday, and never got a gobble in response.
This will be the first season in many if I draw a blank.

Well yeah that sucks - BUT at least you had an exciting hunt. I haven't killed a turkey in the last two years, nor this year, due to this semi-rapid decline where I hunt:

2008 Saw two (silent) jakes, heard a few others, got none
2009 Heard 1 or two distant gobbles, didn't see any, got none
2010 (so far) Haven't heard a single gobble, nor seen any, nor seen any sign at all

Before that got one every year since I started hunting them. I'm startin to get frustrated here. Only good news here is that it's been a rather cold April I think, relative to most years - some of them MAY have delayed the end of mating season, and may still be mating and laying eggs. If so, perhaps some *very* sparing calling will work. Sunday the wind is only around 10 from the N, so my calls may travel quite a ways. If I keep them sparing, like once or twice every 10 or 15 minutes (maybe 1 yelp, couple purrs, couple clucks), then they may just come in, even if it's jakes or toms coming in silently. But BK has got to be way better than where I hunted so far, even if it's heavily hunted public land.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have had such nice weather so far, my wheat is higher than normal, so they are not bugging there, and going thru the woods, the trees were set back by the late freeze and the undergrowth is hip high. Not good for turkey.

Latest posts

Top Bottom