Oklahoma House passes bill outlawing militias and gang recruiting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didnt see a thread for this topic, if this is a duplicate please delete.

Was doing some research and unexpectedly this popped up...

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-house-passes-bill-outlawing-militias-and-gang-recruiting/article/3456132

However, the video on their site does not speak about this bill directly. This one does..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyJOXvIivsY

Was curious to hear some Oklahoman's thoughts.

And..Hello all, I have been creeping around this forum for awhile, but never really posted. My name is Will, nice to meet you. :thumb:

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Article never really says what constitutes a "militia" or "gang". I'll have to look up the bill to see if it's really that vague. The Boy Scouts might fall under that umbrella.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome Will! I think this is another worthless "modifier" law that will not be enforced. We leave a littered trail of worthless laws in every legislative session. This law will do nothing to ensure the safety of Oklahomans. It may someday be applied to a group of individuals who do not deserve to be prosecuted for exercising their rights to peaceable assembly and keep and bear arms. It's just another tool for paranoid government types to keep citizens in check.

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to what Brogdon posted on the Tulsa World comments, per state constitution, every citizen is a member of the state's unorganized militia.

So by advertising for people or companies to move to our state, an individual would be recruiting for a militia. Huh.

Talacker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know what I find more disturbing...the fact that the great state of OK wants to prohibit the freedom of assembly and right to bear arms OR that the bill passed the house by a vote of 98-1.

Just when you think the the legislature gets it, they pull something boneheaded.

This story has made Drudge, as well.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to what Brogdon posted on the Tulsa World comments, per state constitution, every citizen is a member of the state's unorganized militia.

So by advertising for people or companies to move to our state, an individual would be recruiting for a militia. Huh.

Exactly what I was going to post.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Violates 1st Amendment freedom of association. Won't stand up to a court challenge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_association
While the United States Constitution's First Amendment identifies the rights to assemble and to petition the government, the text of the First Amendment does not make specific mention of a right to association. Nevertheless, the United States Supreme Court held in NAACP v. Alabama that the freedom of association is an essential part of the Freedom of Speech because, in many cases, people can engage in effective speech only when they join with others.

Latest posts

Top Bottom