Any special FORM from the wildlife department for using a crossbow?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This week I (finally) received from my doctor a note, written on his standard Rx pad sheet of paper - it says "Please allow patient to use crossbow as he is unable to use a regular bow due shoulder injury / dislocation".

I laminated it and stapled it to my lifetime license. But the doc mentioned something about maybe there is a standardized form you have to fill out?

Thanks.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This week I (finally) received from my doctor a note, written on his standard Rx pad sheet of paper - it says "Please allow patient to use crossbow as he is unable to use a regular bow due shoulder injury / dislocation".

I laminated it and stapled it to my lifetime license. But the doc mentioned something about maybe%

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What the heck???? I just looked at my reply and its not even close to what I entered. Its like most of its deleted, and there are strange symbols in the post?????? Site problems???

Anyway, Your Rx Pad slip is good.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless it is a PERMANENT disability, it is not allowed (unless you are over 60, then the disability doesn't matter). From the ODWC regs ...

"Crossbow Usage

Residents of Oklahoma who are 60 years of age or older and hunters who have a permanent disability to the extent that they cannot use a bow, as certified by a physician licensed to practice in Oklahoma or bordering state, may hunt with a crossbow.

A person who qualifies to hunt with a crossbow shall have in their possession while in the field written evidence of such certification signed by a physician or proof of age."

I went through this when I had my shoulder surgery, and specifically quizzed my surgeon in OKC about it. He was obviously quite familiar with the reg, and had an attorney patient/acquaintance who was in the same situation and was quite upset that he was going to miss bow season that year. My Doc said, 'if it is not permanent, you do not qualify, and you will be able to draw a bow again.' Unsatisfied (or bull-headed, you pick), I called ODWC enforcement division and got the same interpretation. You might want to make that same call before you go afield with that crossbow if you are under 60 YOA!

FWIW - Don

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What the heck???? I just looked at my reply and its not even close to what I entered. Its like most of its deleted, and there are strange symbols in the post?????? Site problems???

No problem - I saw your full post before it disappeared.
Unless it is a PERMANENT disability, it is not allowed (unless you are over 60, then the disability doesn't matter). From the ODWC regs ...

"Crossbow Usage

Residents of Oklahoma who are 60 years of age or older and hunters who have a permanent disability to the extent that they cannot use a bow, as certified by a physician licensed to practice in Oklahoma or bordering state, may hunt with a crossbow.

A person who qualifies to hunt with a crossbow shall have in their possession while in the field written evidence of such certification signed by a physician or proof of age."

I went through this when I had my shoulder surgery, and specifically quizzed my surgeon in OKC about it. He was obviously quite familiar with the reg, and had an attorney patient/acquaintance who was in the same situation and was quite upset that he was going to miss bow season that year. My Doc said, 'if it is not permanent, you do not qualify, and you will be able to draw a bow again.' Unsatisfied (or bull-headed, you pick), I called ODWC enforcement division and got the same interpretation. You might want to make that same call before you go afield with that crossbow if you are under 60 YOA!

Thank you. Sounds like my 'written evidence' is sufficient. My position is that it IS permanent, because I have no health insurance and therefore sure as hell won't be able to afford to fix it. If the warden wishes to write me a ticket and claim that it's not 'permanent', then I'll take that risk and cross that bridge if/when I come to it. :)

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I broke my back, my doctor wrote me a note. I asked a game ranger and he just told me to put the note with my hunting license. He said I would have to get a new note every year from the doc.

Reaction score
Well, that's fine too - I can get a new note every year if needed until healed.

And hey, Biggsly, just what kind of pansy are you anyway, gettin a note with just a measly little broken back? And here I sit with a *serious* injury, lol. :eek: :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom