Help with AR optic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been looking for a scope for my MP15 AR and would like to have a little help. My AR is a flat top model with a removable handle that I plan on removing and using a scope. I have been looking at the Leupold Mark AR and just wanted to know what the general opinions are on the scope. I want to be able to shoot longer range for hunting and target practice. What other scopes should I look at in the same price range? The scope sells for around $500.00. Will I need to remove the front sight for a flat top gas block?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd take a look at the Bushnell Elite 6500 series. I have a couple and they have been great. I really love the wide magnification range they have.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Leupold Mark AR is a good deal, but if you want a magnified optic on an AR with a standard Front Sight Block, then the short answer is that you're going to run into issues with it (you either have to remove it or raise the optic to be able to see over it or you'll have a big blurry spot in the middle of your field of view).

Raising the optic is not desirable unless you just absolutely have to keep the FSB (I can't do a raised optic without a raised cheek-wield).

An easier way would be to grind down the FSB and use it as a gas-block without removing it (its taper-pinned and is probably the best gas-block you'll ever own).

Problem is, if you do this and want to un-do it, you'll have to either get a Quad-rail with a sight mounted to it, or replace the gas block.

BTW, this isn't my old M&P15 is it?

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Leupold Mark AR is a good deal, but if you want a magnified optic on an AR with a standard Front Sight Block, then the short answer is that you're going to run into issues with it (you either have to remove it or raise the optic to be able to see over it or you'll have a big blurry spot in the middle of your field of view).
Raising the optic is not desirable unless you just absolutely have to keep the FSB (I can't do a raised optic without a raised cheek-wield).

An easier way would be to grind down the FSB and use it as a gas-block without removing it (its taper-pinned and is probably the best gas-block you'll ever own).

Problem is, if you do this and want to un-do it, you'll have to either get a Quad-rail with a sight mounted to it, or replace the gas block.

BTW, this isn't my old M&P15 is it?

No offense EZ but I put a 4x12 scope on my flat top AR and I dont have any issues with the FSB. It is NOT raised either, shoots like a dream and no blur or anything. I give you the following thread.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=265612

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No offense EZ but I put a 4x12 scope on my flat top AR and I dont have any issues with the FSB. It is NOT raised either, shoots like a dream and no blur or anything. I give you the following thread.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=265612

No offense taken (I'm not always right :D ), but its not exactly that simple. In order for the FSB to only blur only the bottom of the field of view through your scope, you've got to have the optic mounted fairly high (on high rings or a pretty high mount). That's what I mean by raised.

This raises the eye-piece up pretty high and is honestly uncomfortable to me without adding to the cheek wield. If you're planning on doing any longer range shooting with it (like the OP stated), then you'll have issues with accuracy if you're craning your neck off of the cheek wield in order to see through the eye-piece.

The Mark AR is only a 40mm objective lense (I assume that's the model the OP was taking about since the $500 models all pretty much have 40mm Obj) and it can be mounted so that the FSB blocks nearly 2/3 of the objective lens if you mount it as low as possible (which impedes your field of view a little more than the pic on Calguns).

I would love to know which mount/rings he was using in that pic.

But even in that Calguns pic, the bottom of the sight picture is blurred at the lower magnifications (the upper magnifications probably push the blurred spot down far enough that you don't notice it since you loose field of view with higher magnifications).

But the lower mil-dots (and in my opinion, the most important part of the reticle if you use the reticle for holdovers) will be useless if there's a blurry FSB covering them.

jstevens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just gonna throw in my 2 cents. I just picked up a leupold mk4 midrange 2.5-8 with the tmr. It is very nice for the ar. I know it's out of your price range, but it was also out of mine. The hard problem about mounting a scope on an ar is being able to mount it with the proper eye relief. I went with the larue tactical spr mount. This mount puts the glass right where you need it to be. The bad part is the price,$185.00, and wait time. I am a big fan of leupold and I think it is a good option. As far as the fsb goes I think you will be ok as long as you buy some good glass.

OK Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have also been looking at the Vortex Viper. I know about the scope mounts and still doing my research. A lot of choices which makes it good and bad when trying to decide.

Latest posts

Top Bottom