Colt Full Auto- Rate of fire---

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yesterday when i went and looked at the gun I am buying (Colt AR15 RR) The guy I am getting it from let me test shoot it. It was just MEAN!! I loved it!

But the thing is, it just seemed a bit slow to me. Any of you guys that have a M-16 know how to speed up the rate of fire? I know with ammo as high as it is, I should be trying to slow it down!! LMAO

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you see if it had a hydrolic buffer in it? I'm under the impression they are kind of commonly used to slow the rate of fire. But..,,, I'm too poor for a m16 so what do I know

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are 4 different buffer weights for collapsible stock AR's, along with different buffer springs. All of those will adjust the full auto rate of fire up or down. So will an adjustable gas block and different bolt carrier weights (though most full auto bolt carriers will weigh nearly the same). The heavier the weights, the slower the cyclic rate will be. Cyclic rate will also vary based on fouling and lubrication, but not as much generally.

The big thing to do is select a combination that will give you the correct ejection pattern. Brass should eject at 4-5 o'clock. Further forward and it's overgassed, causing accelerated wear and possible parts failure. Further back and it's undergassed, possibly causing malfunctions.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like Glocktogo stated, you can run different buffer weights in a collapsible stock to adjust the rate of fire. I have run H, H2, H3 and 9mm buffers. I was looking for smoothness, not rate of fire. I have since gone back to a fixed stock with the rifle buffer. To me it runs much smoother than any of the collapsible stocks.

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Guys... As of right now I am not sure how I am going to set this gun up just yet.. Just happy I got it coming!!! As of right now it is a 20" H-bar with the A2 full stock. More then likely its going to stay this way. I am going to do one of the old type upper for it,,, The Colt A2-M4 uppers and get a M4 Stock to put on it. But the 20" H-bar is by all means my favorite.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm no expert on the M16, to be sure.

Just got one myself and have only been able to get out once with it. (But the tannerite helped me enjoy that virgin experience:mosh:)

Something to think about with full auto rates of fire is that alot of us think that they all shoot the same. Or that what we see in the movies is how it should fire.

I'm always amazed at just how slow the uzi fires. It is easy to actually count the number of rounds. Seems to be close to the same on my M16. They aren't like the M11 or MiniUzi.

Might just take some getting used to it.

Uzitalk has a good forum for the M16. You might try looking over there also.

Dave

Dave

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 11.5" 16 runs pretty fast with an H or H2 buffer. With an H3 I get occasional failures. With an H2 and Wolff extra power spring it will run, but at a very slow cyclic rate. Next up is to run an H with the Wolff spring. I'm still fine tuning it for reliability and longevity. I don't want it to run too slow either.

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I got to do a lot more reading up on them. Still going to be a few mouths before I can get it home. I hope the guy will let me come play with it time to time.

Glocktogo,,, Keep me updated with what you find out when you try other springs.

Now has anyone know anything on the X Buffers that Colt made? I seen one online not to long ago but I think it was $200.00 and before I drop that kind of money for a buffer I would like to know more on it.

Thanks all!

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is some info on the rifle and carbine buffers and their weights.

A1/A2 Rifle, 5.2oz, Standard Full Length Stock

CAR, 2.9oz, Standard Carbine - Aluminum body

M4 (H), 3.8oz, Standard M4 - Aluminum Body with 2 Steel and 1 Tungsten Weight

M4 (H2), 4.6oz, M4 - Aluminum Body with 1 Steel and 2 Tungsten Weights

M4 (H3), 5.4oz, M4 - Aluminum Body with 3 Tungsten Weights

9MM, 5.5oz, Steel body with 3 Steel Weights

9MM (A), 6.3oz, Steel body with 1 Tungsten and 2 Steel Weights

9MM (B), 7.1oz, Steel body with 2 Tungsten and 1 Steel Weight

9MM (X), 7.9oz, Steel body with 3 Tungsten Weights

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you for posting that. I was not sure what the X-Buffer was. I did find one tonight on ARF for $50.00 and it only said SBR guns.

Like I said. I got lots of time to read up on them more. It will be a few months before I get the gun!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom