Anyone have any experience with the DPMS Sportical?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiii

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
the DPMS Sportical?

I'm looking to get my first AR within the upcoming months, and I've been looking around and I keep looking at the Sportical. Is it worth it? It's awfully cheap, and i'm wondering if that price is going to hurt me that much. I'm not looking to do a whole lot with it, would it even be a good platform to build on?

I know everyone will say "Wait until you can spend more and get a better rifle", but the likelihood of me being able to spend a whole lot more isn't high in the near future; my barrier is ~$800-$950.

It will be months before I have the money to do it, but I figure I should start reading and researching now.

Edit: Well, this is a pointless thread now. Right after posting this I found a few good articles as to why NOT to buy it, and they made valid points.

Anyone have any opinions on DPMS in general, then?

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the DPMS Sportical?

I'm looking to get my first AR within the upcoming months, and I've been looking around and I keep looking at the Sportical. Is it worth it? It's awfully cheap, and i'm wondering if that price is going to hurt me that much. I'm not looking to do a whole lot with it, would it even be a good platform to build on?

I know everyone will say "Wait until you can spend more and get a better rifle", but the likelihood of me being able to spend a whole lot more isn't high in the near future; my barrier is ~$800-$950.

It will be months before I have the money to do it, but I figure I should start reading and researching now.

If you're using it to hunt or for target practice you should be fine. I haven't heard anything bad about the sportical. For $850+ you could do better, but what the hell, buy one and spend the rest of your budget on some good sights and ammo.

zodiii

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're using it to hunt or for target practice you should be fine. I haven't heard anything bad about the sportical. For $850+ you could do better, but what the hell, buy one and spend the rest of your budget on some good sights and ammo.

That was some of my logic. If I buy this, i'd have more money left over to for sights/accessories, but if it is a bad foundation to build on, then it makes me a little apprehensive.

88gmchog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
check with mark at marksfirearms.com, new cmmg ar15 m4 style for 850 get it instead. the sportical is ok, i had one but to get a good starter or just a good ar check with mark, he sales the dpms too for a great price!

zodiii

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
check with mark at marksfirearms.com, new cmmg ar15 m4 style for 850 get it instead. the sportical is ok, i had one but to get a good starter or just a good ar check with mark, he sales the dpms too for a great price!

I'm interested in this M4 style, any idea what the Make is on it? I want something with a flat top or a removable carry handle, want to be able to put that scope on there. :P

SoonerShots

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take it from a DPMS owner, You'll like their product. I purchased an LR .308 Apr about two years ago. I have not been dissapointed! DPMS makes good products for the value. Sounds like you have time to do your research while you gather your funds.

Good Luck!

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DPMS makes a decent rifle, IMHO. A lot of people use them and have no problems. The Sportical has a some things to like and some to not like.

This model has no sights. Either you need to buy a set of irons or an optic of some sort. It has no forward assist, which some say you don't need, all 3 of my AR's have them and I've used one of them exactly once, so maybe they aren't really necessary. It doesn't have a dust cover, which again, you may or may not need. There are other rifles in the price range, even from DPMS, that do have these items, maybe they are worth a look.

On the other hand, the lack of sights is not really a bad thing, you can get whatever you want for it. I also like the lightweight barrel because they do handle well for me.

Buying a stripped lower and a parts kit is a good way to get a gun of similar quality, and is simple to do. There are a lot of options as to barrel length and profile, sight arrangements, muzzle devices, the choices will boggle your mind. I like Del-Ton, and have used a Model 1 kit with good success. There are a lot of good kit vendors out there. Spikes Tactical is selling a rifle that is all the rage over at arfcom for <$800.

If the Sportical is really what you are looking for I can't see any reason to talk you out of it, but if the price is the only factor pointing you in that direction shop around some.

zodiii

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Daryl!

Sabot mentioned building too, but it seems like the last time I looked into building one I just stared blankly at the monitor for a good hour or two.

I will look more into that though, as well as Del-Ton and that Spikes Tactical rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom