Lever action 44 mag.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My cousins shop has a Lever gun that I am interested in. I have been looking for a Lever action rifle or carbine in 44 Mag. to complement my Ruger SBH. I have let a couple get away, but now I may have a chance to get a brand new one. It is a Legacy, Puma, which is now made by Rossi, with an octagon 24" bbl, case hardened reciever, within my price range, and is pretty much a full copy of the Winchester model 92 except for the safety switch on top.

What do you guys have to say about this model of rifle, if anything? Good or bad?

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had a Rossi Puma SR92 in 38spl/357mag for around 25 years now.
Never had any problem with it at all, it shoots anything I stick in it.
Nice little lever gun.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If its a new one its probably made by Chiappa Firearms in Italy and not Rossi. They moved their plant last year. Which was also when they dropped the big bore rifles from the line up. I have one in 454 casull. The biggest thing I dont like is the safety on top. It also wont feed the longer nose lead bullets but it feeds the hollow point hunting ammo just fine. With the 454 I can also shoot 45LC which is a plus. Overall ts a good rifle.

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one in 45 Colt and one in .44-40. Both have 24" barrels and hit whatever I point them at. I am very happy with the performance of both rifles.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Rossi 357 lever action, made about 1995 or so. Probably 1000 rounds through it and it broke the firing pin. No big deal really but it did cost $90.00 to get it fixed. Overall, a decent gun though.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Have only heard really positive comments about Puma rifles/carbines.

I have a Winchester Trapper in 44mag. and am a big fan of lever guns flavored in 44. One thing I did that really helped accuracy and target acquisition is that I had a William’s receiver sight put on. Acts like a “ghost ring”.

Lever guns make great “urban assault rifles”. Unassuming, quick to get on target with great stopping power. And if you paint ‘em black and call them “tactical”. :faint:

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is a brand new, never fired gun, but it is not one of the Chiappa Firearms from Italy.
I really like the looks of it, except for that safety lever on the top.

I do have one more general question, about the Winchesters

What is the difference between the '92 model and the '94 model?

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 92 was made for pistol caliber cartridges. It is pretty strong and if you reload, you can get some astounding velocity/energy figures from it, if you know what you're doing and you are careful. Factory 44 MAG ammo through a rifle is potent enough for most things however.

Latest posts

Top Bottom