Intruder story ends well

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a story to remind everyone to be aware and be prepared. First of all, everything turned out fine so it was just a wake-up call.

I will shorten the story slightly but hit the high points. We live in rural Logan County. My wife was sitting in the living room this morning and she [thinks] hears the front door open. She gets up and turns the corner at the entryway foyer to the front door AND THERE IS A MAN STANDING IN THE HALLWAY! She doesn’t panic and tells him sternly “Get out of my house” He kind of acts surprised and doesn’t respond immediately. She says again "Get out of my house NOW” He starts stumbling around his words saying “sorry wrong house” and leaves.

Of course she is scared out of her mind and calls 911 then calls me. Turns out the DUMB A$$ was supposed to go to my neighbor’s house (across the street) to work on his computer and had the wrong house. Who walks into someone’s house without even knocking? Logan County SO (2 units) and the Oklahoma Highway Patrol (they had a unit very close) responded in amazing time. The Deputy told the guy (who was now at the RIGHT house) that he was lucky he wasn’t shot. The Deputy ripped him pretty good then asked us if we wanted to press any charges. Of course, she was OK and we said no. I did tell the Deputy that if I would have been home at the time, he wouldn’t be asking me if I wanted to press charges. He said “I understand that”.

She is scared but OK. I told her even though it was scary; it was a wake up call as to what she should do had it been a real intruder. We are going to talk about gun placement around the house tonight.

The bad part about this scenario is that she was face to face with him before she even knew someone was in the house. Had it been real, she would not have had time to get back to the master bedroom to a weapon. This is a good reason to carry all time, even in your house.

Make an action plan for various scenarios. Including one where intruder doesn’t give you notice he is coming in by breaking glass or doing something “noisy”. They might just walk right in. I guarantee her doors will be locked if she is home alone.

This guy is on the short list for the Darwin Awards.

Kudos to the Logan County Sheriffs’ Dept and Oklahoma Highway Patrol!

Plinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bad part about this scenario is that she was face to face with him before she even knew someone was in the house. Had it been real, she would not have had time to get back to the master bedroom to a weapon. This is a good reason to carry all time, even in your house.

Sobering thought, that. Thanks for sharing this!

dbarbee

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure you've already thought about this, but this is a good case for keeping doors locked even in rural areas.

It makes it easier to tell if someone is trying to break in or just at the wrong house.

Blackbirdpilot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure you've already thought about this, but this is a good case for keeping doors locked even in rural areas.

It makes it easier to tell if someone is trying to break in or just at the wrong house.

HUGE +1. We pretty much always keep doors locked unless we are outside. The guy was an idiot for just walking in but he wouldn't have been able to if the door was locked.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

True

HUGE +1. We pretty much always keep doors locked unless we are outside. The guy was an idiot for just walking in but he wouldn't have been able to if the door was locked.

and True

FakeHuman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, what a moron. Who just walks into someone's home without being let in by the owner. I live in rural Logan county as well, and if that would have happened at my place, that dude would have had a gun in his face pretty darn quick.

Good to hear the LCSO made it to your place quickly, took them 30 minutes to get to our place when we needed them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom