2010 Pro Am-What is the key to winning a pro-am type match?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been told so many different things about shooting a pro-am style match but what is the truth to it?
Do you shoot as fast as you can whether you miss or not?
Do you shoot slower and try to make every shot hit?
I need good advice because the pro-am is quickly approaching.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I not very good but I think the key to winning is to knock down more steel than everybody else.

Seriosly though you should only be shooting as fast as you can see the sights and make the hits. Just think about how long it takes you to miss, track your sights, align your sights, and break another shot. A heck of a lot longer than it takes to make a split second adjustment to your original sight picture to ensure that your on target.
Other things I have learned in my short time shooting the club level ProAm matches are...
Shoot the tall steel in the back then the short steel in the front until the entire line of steel is down.
Don't be afraid to shoot longer shots rather than waste time running to another hoser target array only to get there in time for the par timer to go off.
Setup in the best position for youvto make hits even if it takes an extra 1/2 second. Just like long range rifle shooting you will make up that small amount of time by hitting more targets.
Lastly try to remind your competitors how many steel they missed after every run. The more you can get them down the weaker their shooting will be. Just kidding about that last one. It's a dirty way to play and I would never do that to someone;)

That is all the tips I have been given. Im looking forward to hearing what the good shooters are doing.

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I not very good but I think the key to winning is to knock down more steel than everybody else.

Seriosly though you should only be shooting as fast as you can see the sights and make the hits. Just think about how long it takes you to miss, track your sights, align your sights, and break another shot. A heck of a lot longer than it takes to make a split second adjustment to your original sight picture to ensure that your on target.
Other things I have learned in my short time shooting the club level ProAm matches are...
Shoot the tall steel in the back then the short steel in the front until the entire line of steel is down.
Don't be afraid to shoot longer shots rather than waste time running to another hoser target array only to get there in time for the par timer to go off.
Setup in the best position for youvto make hits even if it takes an extra 1/2 second. Just like long range rifle shooting you will make up that small amount of time by hitting more targets.
Lastly try to remind your competitors how many steel they missed after every run. The more you can get them down the weaker their shooting will be. Just kidding about that last one. It's a dirty way to play and I would never do that to someone;)

That is all the tips I have been given. Im looking forward to hearing what the good shooters are doing.
I agree with most everything here. another key is to not stop or go back to a steel...always keep going forward. if it is advantageous to reengage rather than move to another position then do so. Smooth is the key. 1 for 1 is always good.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are my tips:

Go one for one on the steel. A miss is wasted time and you don't have any to waste.

Be smooth and have good flow. Rapid starts and stops will throw off your rhythm, causing you to miss and make mistakes.

Look at each stage and develop a strategy based on your strengths and capabilities. Play to those rather than a strategy that works for someone else with different skills than yours.

Time management, time management and time management Did I fail to mention time management? Take a step as you draw, reload on the move, shoot on the move (only if you do it well). Always be aware of how much time you have left. I've seen people leave steel standing in an array, only to run out of time before they get to the next array.

Never go to slide lock. Even if you have ammo left in the mag, reload as you move between positions (unless the next position is your last and there's more than 11 steel there).

Do not let clock pressure cause you to shoot faster than you can hit. Take only the time you need, but take all the time you need to get your hits.

If you're a D class shooter, you'd be amazed at how many shooters in your class you can beat if you just go one for one with the 11 you have in your gun. I see lots of shooters miss several times, do a quick reload and miss several more, only to get less than 11 steel on a stage. Meanwhile, a guy who takes his time and drops steel for every shot will walk away with 11.

Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Top Bottom