Which 7.62 x 39 rifle to buy??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which 7.62 x 39 rifle to buy?

• SKS

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • AK 47

Votes: 54 75.0%
  • Mini 30

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other 7.62 x 39 rifle

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Trade ammo for another 30 cal rifle format

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mdm.gunbroker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So here's the deal. I'm deep in to 7.62 x 39 ammo. About 650 rounds of all brass at about .75/round. Bought it thinking I'd buy a rifle to fire it at some point. Can't seem to get out of it what I paid in sale or trade because of all the cheap surplus available, so, what the heck. I'll buy a good 7.62 x 39 and have some fun.

So, what I've found are AK 47, SKS, and Mini 30. Any other platforms out there I missed?

In my brief research considering cost of rifle, reliability, accessories (mainly pistol grip and rails), and of course good old aesthetics, I'm lead to the AK 47.

I'm interested in the opinions and advise as to which ones (including brand) has worked best for you.

Looking forward to the dialogue.

Mike

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only advise I can give you is to stay away from the Mini 30. They seem to be very hit and miss. For every person that said they got a good, accurate one, 10 people said they sucked.

AKs and SKSs used to be everywhere. And with prices coming back down a bit, you might find some decent deals. I've seen some very good condition AKs and SKSs go for as low as $99.00. Dong's always had a good number of them, but seems like they're the last place in the universe to lower their prices.

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If SKSs were still $150 everywhere, I's go that way. But I don't think they are right now. You can still get a Romanian or Yugo AK for under $500, so that's what I'd do in your shoes. Although with 650 rounds, an AK will have you running on E in a day.

TJohn

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had no problems with my Mini 30 and I am quite pleased with my purchase. The lack of pistol grips, etc. is what drew me to it. Admidittedly my only experience with the AK 47 is a WASR 10, and all that I can say is that I have been "underwhelmed" with it. Don't get me wrong, it isn't a bad gun, just not the "be all, end all" that I have heard and read about. I am quite sure that you can still get a decent SKS or AK for less than a Mini 30. Everyone has different likes and dislikes, so go with what keys your interest, I really don't think any of the three will disappoint. There are also AR's in the 7.62 x 39 platform but 90% of what I have heard is that they are prone to issues.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard the same things about the Mini-30 and if their mags are like the Mini-14, those are way too expensive ($50-70 per mag). I like both the AK and SKS, but if I were only going to go with one, it has to be the AK. Lighter, more compact and interchangable mags.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Being brass cased ammo, you may not want an AK or SKS due to slam fire issues (softer primers in US-made 7.62x39). Also if you plan to reload the cases, the commie rifles (especially the AK) are hell on the brass during extraction; very robust!

If you have fine, brass cased, US-made 7.62x39 ammo and want to shoot it for good effect, I'd look for a mini-30, a compact bolt-action rifle, or even an AR-15 chambered in 7.62x39?

Bhop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive been wondering the same trying to decide between sks or ak. plan on adding a tapco stock on either. but want to be as cheap as i can im a tightwad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom