Ghetto Targets 101 - WMA range targets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you don't have a bunch of money, and you want to do some shooting drills that require some thought... here's your answer:

[Broken External Image]

Get to the Dollar Thrifty store and pick up some foam boards ($1 each - cut them in half) or cardboard boxes if you can find them. Wal-Mart sells yard sticks for $.50 a piece (quick pass on the scroll saw and they're now sharp enough to penetrate Oklahoma's granite-hard clay ground) and then get yourself some double-sided 3M tape and viola - you've got a fine set of Ghetto Super-star targets that you can use at any White-trash WMA range and have yourself a great time.

I've got about $1.20 or less in each target and I just throw them away on my way out of the range (unless someone else is there and wants to continue shooting them).

In all seriousness since I live near Okmulgee's WMA range I spend most of my time shooting out there. I was using the aluminum EZ Baker Pans for a while, but I wanted to improve on that so now we're primarily shooting decision targets made out of cardboard or foam board.

Colors, numbers, shapes (crappy shapes, but still - shapes none the less), and frowny/smiley faces are all a part of the equation. We call out which factors are bad-guys right before each shooting session and go to town.

I think I might be willing to go out and shoot a pistol or carbine match next month (I'm on stupid call this week or I'd try to go out there this weekend).

Been doing moving/shooting, malfunction, reload, proper cover, and occasionally prone drills a lot lately. Even shooting 100rds a week per platform, I'm still not willing to reload yet - its something I need to get going on, but I just don't have the time.

Thinking of heading out to the Okmulgee WMA range in a bit right now as a matter of fact.

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good post. We use political signs in our classes. You can then staple paper plates, or copy paper with just about any shape you want.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took a couple small images of some zombie targets and rasterbated them. I print them off on 8.5x11 and tape the puzzle pieces together. They're low res blown up, but at 25 yards it looks legit (that's the whole point of rasterbation). Pretty much any image you can get can be turned into a lifesize target, it's pretty sweet. http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
big cardboard boxes work well. 3 sides to shoot up and if its windy, add a shovel full of dirt before closing them up. Easy enough to pick up when done and chuck in the truck bed for disposal later. Can glue or staple targets to them.

Not as much fun as steel, but good for informal shoots.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thing I wanted to accomplish by using decision targets is having to think before I shoot a particular target instead of just shooting a circle/silouette of some sort.

We'll mix them all up (especially the blue/red/smiley/frowny silhouettes and thrown in some cover) with about 6-8 targets for moving/shooting drills and you can't shoot a blue frowny, red frowny, or blue smiley (they look black in the picture, but they're actually blue).

If we call out red-smiley right before you run the course, you can't shoot if you have a "civilian" (any blue silouettes or red-frownys) in your front of, or behind the bad-guy (in this case, red-smiley).

The black and white targets are for warming up and doing reloads, the different colors/numbers (and even the shapes) are for calling out either a color/shape/number right before you put two shots in the target and move to the next one - that away you have to think before you shoot.

It sounds corny, but it actually works and gets you out of the range-safe-haven frame of mind for just a moment and you have to think before you shoot a little more than just putting rounds into a target.

Its actually a lot of fun too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom