For those who Stash guns around the house

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m curious and looking for opinions and input. For those that stash a gun or guns around the house:

1 How many do you have tucked away around the house?
2 Where are they stashed and why that location?
3 What types (pistol, shotgun, rifle) and what condition of readiness?
4 What made you finally decide to do this?

I’m looking primarily for input from those who have already chosen to keep guns in various places around their house. Would also like to hear from true professionals that have genuinely studied this subject. I know a lot of people are against this for safety reasons. I understand that so I really don’t want to hear that side of it. I just had that “knock at the door” at 9:30 at night. I truly just stood there for a second not knowing if I should just answer it or run down the hall and get a gun from where they’re secured. Got to thinking maybe I should have a firearm near the door in some state of readiness.

What say ye?

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m curious and looking for opinions and input. For those that stash a gun or guns around the house:

1 How many do you have tucked away around the house?
2 Where are they stashed and why that location?
3 What types (pistol, shotgun, rifle) and what condition of readiness?
4 What made you finally decide to do this?

I’m looking primarily for input from those who have already chosen to keep guns in various places around their house. Would also like to hear from true professionals that have genuinely studied this subject. I know a lot of people are against this for safety reasons. I understand that so I really don’t want to hear that side of it. I just had that “knock at the door” at 9:30 at night. I truly just stood there for a second not knowing if I should just answer it or run down the hall and get a gun from where they’re secured. Got to thinking maybe I should have a firearm near the door in some state of readiness.

What say ye?

To the latter yes you should keep something close just for those situations...I'm not really sure anybody will answer the first as I would not reveal what and locations......that would let EVERYBODY know!!!!!

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I once had guns stashed at locations I thought were "strategic". Anymore, I literally carry as close to 24/7 as possible. Meaning, when I get up to put on my pants, my holster goes on too. If I am not in "holster suitable" leg wares, theres a snubbie in my pocket. At night, sidearm goes on the bedside table. So, the only time I am unarmed is when in the shower.

The stashing was because I was paranoid (not saying all people who stash are, I am saying I did it because *I* was). I got over my paranoia (was just really stressed ((job stress, stress from cancer, blah blah) and paranoia increases with stress). The ~24/7 carry wasnt out of paranoia. It started by trying to get used to new holsters. I wore them as much as possible to break them in. Became habit.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not really sure anybody will answer the first as I would not reveal what and locations......that would let EVERYBODY know!!!!!

I certainly don't expect anyone to answer any questions they don't want to. I guess some of you know where some of the others live. I don't know where anybody on this forum lives but maybe I'm in the minority. I mostly am just trying to get an idea as to tactical advantages/disadvantages of various locations coupled with condition of readiness. Also what precautions folks have taken to prevent accidents would be helpful. Simply knowing whether someone does or does not stash doesn't educate me much.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I once had guns stashed at locations I thought were "strategic". Anymore, I literally carry as close to 24/7 as possible. Meaning, when I get up to put on my pants, my holster goes on too. If I am not in "holster suitable" leg wares, theres a snubbie in my pocket. At night, sidearm goes on the bedside table. So, the only time I am unarmed is when in the shower.

The stashing was because I was paranoid (not saying all people who stash are, I am saying I did it because *I* was). I got over my paranoia (was just really stressed ((job stress, stress from cancer, blah blah) and paranoia increases with stress). The ~24/7 carry wasnt out of paranoia. It started by trying to get used to new holsters. I wore them as much as possible to break them in. Became habit.

To me this is really sound practice. Unfortunately I work on federal soil. But I do carry as often as I can. Also, I'm looking toward my wife and kids (teenagers). I'd be nice if they had a gun near by when I'm not around

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me this is really sound practice. Unfortunately I work on federal soil. But I do carry as often as I can. Also, I'm looking toward my wife and kids (teenagers). I'd be nice if they had a gun near by when I'm not around

Parking on Federal Property? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but my father is Fed, but his parking is not (office is in a public strip mall). I would just carry as much as possible.

As for family, I wouldnt say you need to keep guns stashed, but definately educate and train your family. My wife knows not to open the big door when people come knocking (helps we have a wood/glass front door) even when I am home. She knows to ask who it is, and then to say something as to not reveal wether she is alone or not, IE "Can you come back later, I am really busy with a sick [dog/baby/I'm cleaning]." She also knows where at least 1 handgun is (central place, but stored safely), and the shotgun (stored safely yet accessible in the bedroom).

Even if you plan on stashing, just make sure you always advocate strategy and everyone in your family is aware of what is where and what needs to be done.

I know I have had some scarry situations coming in on red eye flights. Try to call my wife to let her know I am home, pulling in the garage, and she doesnt answer. Would hate to walk in to my own house unannounced and catch 00 in the gut. But as I said, we talk about scenarios.

Latest posts

Top Bottom