308 "sniper" rifle build need more opinions, plz

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadEyeDick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I'm planning on gettin a remy 308varmint and building it up. But at the moment, I'm confused on stocks. I'm away from home and only have this pos phone to search on, its pretty limited. I've been eyeing the choate sniper stock, but I don't know if it will support the heavy barrel. I also would like to get away from the top loading. I would like something like the AICS stock that has mags, but the AICS stock cost more than the gun. Any and all opinions are appreciated!

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Remington Varmint Synthetics have some very nice stocks already, but they do not have detachable mags like you want. I would save the money on a stock and spend it on quality optics and mounts instead. A mag feed stock will not make your rifle shoot better, but good optics will. You will spend more on the optic than the rifle. Just my opinion, YMMV.

DeadEyeDick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're correct. I do plan on getting really good optics. This is gonna be a long drawn out build. I'm gonna put some money into and build exactly what I want. Btw, how is the weather in duncan? It was a hot 72 here in utah today! Lol. And what is YMMV?

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're correct. I do plan on getting really good optics. This is gonna be a long drawn out build. I'm gonna put some money into and build exactly what I want. Btw, how is the weather in duncan? It was a hot 72 here in utah today! Lol. And what is YMMV?

It is hot here (upper 90's) and supposed to be in the 100's this weekend.

YMMV means "Your Mileage May Vary". Just another way of saying what works for me might not work for you.

You will be happy with a Remington VS. I have had 2 (.308 and .22-250) and both were very accurate. The only thing I did not like were the factory triggers, but they are easily replaced.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I'm planning on gettin a remy 308varmint and building it up. But at the moment, I'm confused on stocks. I'm away from home and only have this pos phone to search on, its pretty limited. I've been eyeing the choate sniper stock, but I don't know if it will support the heavy barrel. I also would like to get away from the top loading. I would like something like the AICS stock that has mags, but the AICS stock cost more than the gun. Any and all opinions are appreciated!

The factory stocks suck - I've got an extra factory Varmint stock you can have (I tried to give it away to another member who no-showed on me the other day).

If you're going to upgrade the stock and make this a long-term project - I'd recommend getting the cheapest ADL rifle (or action only if you can) out there and just replace the barrel, recoil-lug and stock and you'll have a true shooter.

I did an SPS Varmint for mine and a regular ADL for my son's and his was much cheaper and I had a lot less stuff I didn't need left over.

The Choate is an upgrade from factory, but its not a very good step for the money. They suffer from poor QC and while its aluminum bedded, it doesn't provide a good machined fit against the factory action and recoil lug.

There are more than a few threads in this section about this very topic, but to save you some time, if you're looking to save money, get a Bell Carlson from Stocky's Stocks.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront

I've got the B/C and an HS and I think they're about the same quality and the B/C was cheaper.

If you want detachable mags, then you're going to spend more than the gun either way for a quality setup (unless you get a long-action caliber like .270, .30-06, .300Win Mag, etc... - there are factory and cheaper setups out there for long-action, but none for short-action that are worth a crap).

I'd agree that there are more important things to get first though - optics, a good 20MOA base (if you're going to stretch it out and shoot to the rifle's capability), good rings, and good optics.

MadDawg

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Best Remington I own is a Savage.

You can replace the barrel yourself, thats an amazing perk.

I am no fan of the accu-trigger but I love the comp trigger sharpshooter puts on the market.

Plenty of good solid stocks out there. I like laminated but there are a few good 'tacti-cool' stocks out there. Bell and carson are good.

I have no love for the Choate series, but some fancy them.

Bottomline for me is I can have a good custom barrel on a dependable action mated to a realistically priced stock for what many 'woo-hoo' factory rifles start out getting.

I have an LTR so its not that I am unfamiliar with Remington.

Good luck

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom