Swedish Mauser

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okjoek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also have one I've had for about a year. It is always one of the first guns one of my grown sons will pick to shoot at the range. They are fun, accurate, and capable. I have thought about getting a modern gun in the caliber or even a 6.5x55 AI and put a scope on it because we like it so much. In my opinion it is an excellent round and like stated above those old Swedes are accurate rifles.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 ! The Swedish Mausers as a whole are an excellent vintage bolt-action target rifle, right up there with the Swiss K31 and a properly-tuned Springfield 1903A3. Those three usually fill out the top 10 spots in the CMP vintage rifle competition results. Do post pics when you can, a lot of us would like to see them :)

You might try a scout mount, or a cantilevered mount if you don't want to use a LER scope:

http://home.comcast.net/~yzhu/accumount/class1/Swedish/m96_dual.htm

I've looked at those mounts. Have you ever used them? I don't really like LER. I worry that the stabilizer stud that sits on the receiver ring will scratch up the receiver with the long mount. Do you know anything about that?

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've looked at those mounts. Have you ever used them? I don't really like LER. I worry that the stabilizer stud that sits on the receiver ring will scratch up the receiver with the long mount. Do you know anything about that?

I have a friend that used these on his K31. http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html

If I remember correctly 6.5x55 is or was a popular hunting cartridge in Europe. I think those Swedes were on to something with that 6.5mm bullet...

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a great mount for the K31. It attaches to the receiver just using compression and doesn't scratch the finish. I can mount/take off the scope and mount in about 30 seconds and you can use the iron sights with it mounted. I wish they made something similar for other milsurps, but they can only do it on the K31 because of the unique receiver design.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend that used these on his K31. http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html

If I remember correctly 6.5x55 is or was a popular hunting cartridge in Europe. I think those Swedes were on to something with that 6.5mm bullet...

The bullets are long for caliber and weight. Makes for good bc and penetration all out of proportion for the speed and recoil.......or so I've read since I've never owned one.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I've used their scout mounts on a K98 Mauser and a Finnish M39, and I liked the fit and finish of the mounts. I only put a hundred or so rounds through each rifle before selling them, but I didn't notice any undue wear and tear being caused by the mounts. They're solid enough that I don't believe there would be much movement to induce wear. Can't say anything about the cantilever mount, though.

But yep, I don't care for LER scopes either. It's hard enough using a vintage scope to get an approximate "look," so doing some head-bobbing to get the right sight picture can be a bit tiresome ;)

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a great mount for the K31. It attaches to the receiver just using compression and doesn't scratch the finish. I can mount/take off the scope and mount in about 30 seconds and you can use the iron sights with it mounted. I wish they made something similar for other milsurps, but they can only do it on the K31 because of the unique receiver design.

Is it this mount from Swiss Products? http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1666/Product/SWISS_PRODUCTS_SCHMIDT_RUBIN_K31_SCOPE_MOUNT

Sorry, for the hijack.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought several of them back when I could get them for $60.00 each. I think I had 5 or 6 at one time. found a deal on brand new in the white bbls on one of the surplus sites and used the new barrels to turn 2 of them into sporters. The one I did for my son I left the steps in the bbl and cut it to 21". The one I built for myself I cut to 20" and tapered the barrel enough to get the steps out. Put them both in Choat tool stocks and mounted 3X9 scopes. Both will hold less than 1 moa at 100 yds.
Low recoil and great accuracy! can't beat it!!!!