Swedish Mauser

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fulton4495

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just bought a Swedish Mauser the other day and i dont know much about it and was wondering if anyone knows much about it its all original parts except the stock the serial number is 524 if anyone knows anything about it or where i can get info on it let me know!

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're great rifles, commonly capable of MOA accuracy or better. Most are in good to excellent shape and it is also common to have them be all numbers matching. They are chambered in 6.5x55 Mauser. I have a couple and love them. It's also nice that major ammo makers make modern ammo in that round, so you can use it for anything from plinking to target to hunting.

Is yours a M96 or 38? Either way you should enjoy it.

fulton4495

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
its a m96 from what i have read i will post some pics of it this weekend sometime havent got a chance to shoot it yet but i plan to this weekend and cant wait! and one more thing does anyone know anywhere around the edmond area to pick up 6.5x55 ammo checked the academy and they didnt carry it

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know any place other than gun shows that you might find surplus. I've often seen commercial at Bass Pro and occasionally at Wal-Mart. If you are willing to drive a little, King's Pawn or Brigadoon's in Del City will likely have something. You can run through it. Toward Bethany, H&H and Outdoor America would be good places to check.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They're great rifles, commonly capable of MOA accuracy or better. Most are in good to excellent shape and it is also common to have them be all numbers matching. They are chambered in 6.5x55 Mauser. I have a couple and love them. It's also nice that major ammo makers make modern ammo in that round, so you can use it for anything from plinking to target to hunting.

Is yours a M96 or 38? Either way you should enjoy it.

Always been intrigued by the 6.5x55 Swede cartridge. Would love to have modern rifle in it.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Always been intrigued by the 6.5x55 Swede cartridge. Would love to have modern rifle in it.

It's a excellent cartridge. Energy retention is fantastic. I've thought about this myself. I spent about half of last night looking at 6.5mm cartridges. It's a lot of fun in the old rifles. I want to scope one of mine, but I can't bring myself to harming one of these 100 yr old guns.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1 ! The Swedish Mausers as a whole are an excellent vintage bolt-action target rifle, right up there with the Swiss K31 and a properly-tuned Springfield 1903A3. Those three usually fill out the top 10 spots in the CMP vintage rifle competition results. Do post pics when you can, a lot of us would like to see them :)

I want to scope one of mine, but I can't bring myself to harming one of these 100 yr old guns.

You might try a scout mount, or a cantilevered mount if you don't want to use a LER scope:

http://home.comcast.net/~yzhu/accumount/class1/Swedish/m96_dual.htm