Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swedish Mauser

Default Re: Swedish Mauser

Quote Originally Posted by z06man View Post
    I've looked at those mounts. Have you ever used them? I don't really like LER. I worry that the stabilizer stud that sits on the receiver ring will scratch up the receiver with the long mount. Do you know anything about that?
    I've used their scout mounts on a K98 Mauser and a Finnish M39, and I liked the fit and finish of the mounts. I only put a hundred or so rounds through each rifle before selling them, but I didn't notice any undue wear and tear being caused by the mounts. They're solid enough that I don't believe there would be much movement to induce wear. Can't say anything about the cantilever mount, though.

But yep, I don't care for LER scopes either. It's hard enough using a vintage scope to get an approximate "look," so doing some head-bobbing to get the right sight picture can be a bit tiresome

I dont have a scope on mine and dont plan to put one on because im 10xs better with iron sights then with a scope!

I have a great mount for the K31. It attaches to the receiver just using compression and doesn't scratch the finish. I can mount/take off the scope and mount in about 30 seconds and you can use the iron sights with it mounted. I wish they made something similar for other milsurps, but they can only do it on the K31 because of the unique receiver design.
    Is it this mount from Swiss Products? http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...31_SCOPE_MOUNT

Sorry, for the hijack.
    ...reality is always plural and mutable.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

Hoplophobia

My feedback

I bought several of them back when I could get them for $60.00 each. I think I had 5 or 6 at one time. found a deal on brand new in the white bbls on one of the surplus sites and used the new barrels to turn 2 of them into sporters. The one I did for my son I left the steps in the bbl and cut it to 21". The one I built for myself I cut to 20" and tapered the barrel enough to get the steps out. Put them both in Choat tool stocks and mounted 3X9 scopes. Both will hold less than 1 moa at 100 yds.
    Low recoil and great accuracy! can't beat it!!!!
    Beware the man who only carries one gun. HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!
    ___________To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.__________

Has anyone see the sights made by Mojosights? http://www.mojosights.com/swedish_mausers.html
    ...reality is always plural and mutable.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

Hoplophobia

My feedback

Quote Originally Posted by sol.torluemke View Post
    Is it this mount from Swiss Products? http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...31_SCOPE_MOUNT

Sorry, for the hijack.
    It's a mount like that style, but I believe it was from Accumount. I think mine is longer also.

Quote Originally Posted by sol.torluemke View Post
    Has anyone see the sights made by Mojosights? http://www.mojosights.com/swedish_mausers.html
    I've seen them. I've even seen them on one rifle, but I've never actually shot one. I would want to put on correct Swede peep sights if I were going to go that route.
    My Feedback

"Can I butt-stroke your wife?" - olyeller

I've seen them. I've even seen them on one rifle, but I've never actually shot one. I would want to put on correct Swede peep sights if I were going to go that route.
    I've shot a M96 with a Mojo sight - hated it. The peep is just WAY too far forward to be of much use - IMHO.

You might do as I did - find a FSR-prepped M96 (FSR stands for "Frivilliga Skytterorelsen", the Swedish national shooter's association). The Swedes drilled mounting holes in the receiver for one of a variety of diopter peep sights, and used those rifles in competitions. I believe some of the conversions were done by Army arsenals, and others were done by Army-approved gunsmiths. Those Swedes were - and still are - extremely serious about their shooting competitions, so an FSR M96 will be an excellent shooter. A large number of FSR rifles have made their way Stateside, so you can enjoy an excellent sight picture without screwing up the value of your M96. Heck, the FSR rifles command a bit of a premium over the standard M96's, especially if you find one with a rare sight. Some of them came without sights, so you'd have to measure the mounting holes to figure out which sight you need, and find one of those. Not hard, just takes a bit of patience.

I don't have any good pics of my diopter'ed M96's, but here's a pic of someone else's FSR M96, with a Pramm diopter. It's a good setup.

To the OP: sorry to derail your thread! Please do post those pics; we'd love to see them
    Last edited by Perplexed; 06-13-2010 at 08:09 AM.

The M96 is one of those milsurp rifles that is dead-on accurate just as they are. The sights are excellent, woo-to-metal fit is exceptional and the 6.5mm round is one of the best available. They're sort of like Swedish K31's in 6.5.

If you've got the eye to shoot iron sights, this is one to work with.
    If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything; really helps when you get old.

i had a husqvarna M38 i liked quite a bit, shot a bodark apple out of a tree at 50+ yards away with it, sold it to a fellow osa member who is very happy with it

Quote Originally Posted by AKguy1985 View Post
    i had a husqvarna M38 i liked quite a bit, shot a bodark apple out of a tree at 50+ yards away with it, sold it to a fellow osa member who is very happy with it
    I'm curious, how much did you get out of that shot-up horse apple. I've got a bunch of 'em down here I'd like to sell.
    If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything; really helps when you get old.

Yep! That's me. I love that rifle!
    Anti-Lock Evangelist #2

FEEDBACK

Gunboards.com and mausercentral.com are good places for information on the swedish mauser. I have one of the Kimber of America sporterized swedes. Now I'm trying to find a good powder/bullet reloading combination for deer season.

Yep! That's me. I love that rifle!
    Anti-Lock Evangelist #2

FEEDBACK