Cheapest way do build AR-15.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woolworh

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What would be the cheapest way to build a AR-15? Would you just buy a used complete upper and lower? Then put it together your self. Are all upper's and lower's compatible? Or would a self build from the ground up be the best?

gyolai

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the most part they are mostly compatible. If you can build the upper and lowers completely yourself you can almost build one for about 500 using bargain parts. But that can also lead to the quality of the build and the reliability as well.

If you want an AR for pretty cheap PM me and we can work something out

Mr300

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you plan on building your AR15, you need to consider several things.

Are you willing to pay for it? Usually, the AR lower is the cheapest piece on your list. (And, no, it doesn't matter what "brand" AR lower that you use. Instead, focus on the quality of your upper). When I built my AR15, I paid quite a bit because I didn't want some "cookie-cutter" AR15. I bought a cheap ($150) DPMS lower and a special YHM Diamond Spectre Upper.

The biggest thing to remember is that you HAVE to buy NEW mechanical (the intregal parts on your AR15) parts when building your AR15. Otherwise, you could end up buying some parts that are "like-new" and end up having the rifle malfunction (or not shoot at all) or have it blow up in your face at the range (by the way, that's not a good thing). I've heard of this type of thing happening to several people just so that they could save $50 on their upper. It's not worth it; just pay the extra $50 for the new part.

Lastly, remember that you can always ask questions. Don't asume that the AR15 is supposed to go together that way; get some help from the OSA Forum or give your gunsmith a call.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The biggest thing to remember is that you HAVE to buy NEW mechanical (the intregal parts on your AR15) parts when building your AR15. Otherwise, you could end up buying some parts that are "like-new" and end up having the rifle malfunction (or not shoot at all) or have it blow up in your face at the range (by the way, that's not a good thing).

Could you explain this?

Mr300

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
No Problem....

Many people don't know about the head spacing in an AR15 (yes, there is headspacing). If you buy a used Bolt Carrier Group (and you don't measure the headspacing) and put it into a new upper, the rifle MAY do one of two things:

1) The rifle may refuse to cycle properly due to the gap created by the worn bolt (the gasses seeping out of the chamber through the worn bolt and the locking pins),

2) The rifle may blow up in your face (again, due to the gap created by the worn bolt between the bolt and the chamber)

Can you shoot a used BCG in a new gun and it work flawlessly? Sure.
Can you shoot a used BCG in a new gun and it blow up in your face? Sure.

If you're going to buy a BCG for your rifle go ahead and buy a high end, good quality BCG. That's all I'm saying.

JWE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No Problem....

Many people don't know about the head spacing in an AR15 (yes, there is headspacing). If you buy a used Bolt Carrier Group (and you don't measure the headspacing) and put it into a new upper, the rifle MAY do one of two things:

1) The rifle may refuse to cycle properly due to the gap created by the worn bolt (the gasses seeping out of the chamber through the worn bolt and the locking pins),

2) The rifle may blow up in your face (again, due to the gap created by the worn bolt between the bolt and the chamber)

Can you shoot a used BCG in a new gun and it work flawlessly? Sure.
Can you shoot a used BCG in a new gun and it blow up in your face? Sure.

If you're going to buy a BCG for your rifle go ahead and buy a high end, good quality BCG. That's all I'm saying.

I think you mean the bolt. The carrier itself has nothing to do with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom