Best rifle for big game in Alaska?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why wouldn't the .308 be okay for hunting big game?

Poor terminal ballistics compared to more suitable offerings would be my guess. Not that 308 couldn't take down a moose or a gimongus bear, but there are cartridges more suited to the task of taking game in the most humane way. If you're going after something big like moose then I'd definitely step it up to 338 or 375 cal.

David D

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
ok thanks for all the posts guys i appreciate it. yea i bought the .308 about 3 months ago but i think i want something bigger just in case ya know. ill look at some 300's and 338's. thanks again

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having spent a lot of time up there I would say a 338 win mag! for all around.

The 338 win mag was going to be my stock caliber suggestion.

If you are into reloading and don't mind a semi-wildcat round, a 35 Whelen bolt action would also be a good choice. 35 Whelen is a 30-06 case necked up to take a 0.358 diameter bullet.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not a matter of the .308, or any other caliber you mentioned, not being enough gun to kill just about anything up there. It's a matter of them not being enough gun to drop a big critter who is looking to do you harm, in his tracks.

The .308 will work just fine as long as you don't become the hunted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom