Best rifle for big game in Alaska?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
First rule of thumb is to be an effective shooter. Most guides hate the folks who show up with a new uber-magnum DU shooter that they can barely shoot. They would prefer for you to show up with your 30-06 with effective loads that your used to shooting. If you can handle 200 to 220 grain loads in your 30-06 you can take anything that walks in Alaska.

Second rule is the rifle, just as I stated above, if you can handle it, and are a decent OFF THE BENCH shot with it, you'll do well, and the guide won't have to worry about you wounding an animal he is responsible for putting down(Guides hate to have to go after something like a Moose or Brownie thats been wounded).

Third rule; Don't get carried away with all the the new out there, eskimo's go after polar's with 30-30's, a good medium weight 30-06 thats will shoot decent groups with any load from 150gr to 220gr is more than enough for 95% of your shooting.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm just jealous. I have been wanting to move to Alaska since I was 12. Don't know why, just always thought it would be neat to experience it for a few years..... Once I got into hunting it just up'd my desire to go... just haven't had the right timing yet. Harvest a lot, and don't forget us.. post pics on here!

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Third hand info here, but relevant.

My son was stationed with the Air Force for three years at Eilson AFB outside of Fairbanks. He used a single shot 45-70 for Moose and told me that was the caliber of choice with most folks he ran into for THAT particular critter. He also carried .44magnum revolver for "scary moments". I myself spent a couple weeks in the Anchorage area and remembered a conversation with a local who had lived there for many years. He stated as others on this thread have, magnums are great, but if you can't hit with them... No good.

He stated he hunted bear,moose,caribou etc with a 30-06 and saw no use for the heavy magnums.

Just opinions but might be useful...

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If in bear country I would for sure be carrying a 12 ga shotty with slugs and a 4" 44mag too!

Make sure you save the last 44 mag round for yourself.

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index.cfm?adfg=bears.bearfax

A .300-Magnum rifle or a 12-gauge shotgun with rifled slugs are appropriate weapons if you have to shoot a bear. Heavy handguns such as a .44-Magnum may be inadequate in emergency situations, especially in untrained hands.

Reaction score
Some say you want a CRF turnbolt (CZ, Winchester, etc.), but then again, my understanding is that a lot of guys/guides use big bore leverguns, so go figure. As for cartridge choice, If huntin from a stand, I'd imagine anything from a .260 rem / .270 win on up will cover everything. If hunting from the ground, where you can be immediately chased by toothy/clawy things, personally, I'd want a .35 whelen / 9.3x62 or bigger (or bare minimum of .30-06 with 220s). If I was a guide where my function is to shoot ONLY when something has gone horribly awry, I guess that I'd want a levergun in .45-70, .50 alaskan, etc., or a CRF in .375 ruger / .376 steyr / .375 HH mag, minimum. But I'm just guessin; ain't never been there.

For what little it may be worth, I've got 3 rifles 'marked' by me (in my head) as my Canada/Alaska rifles, for my "someday" trip(s) up there: a turnbolt in 9.3x62 (cz 550 fs), a turnbolt in .30-'06 (t/c icon classic), and a levergun in .47-70 (marlin 1895). Meantine, they all work fine for deer/hogs, too. :-)

Latest posts

Top Bottom