Which rifle for Alaska?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.300 win mag and .44 magnum.

They are both pretty versatile. The .300 win mag is more commercially available and can be loaded with a variety of .308" diameter bullets for a variety of game, and the .44 mag can be loaded to be as docile as a 9mm for personal defense/carry or as screaming as you can handle (and then some) for protection from dangerous game or any other task.

Reaction score
I you could only take one rifle and one hand gun to Alaska to live not necessarily in the wild but to use for protection and hunting. . . what would you choose?

Among those we have, or any?

Among those we have, I'd go with my CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62mm (essentially a ".366-'06"), and my SW Mountain Gun .45 Colt (or possibly the Taurus RB 5" in .454 Casull). We don't get to take a shotgun?

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I you could only take one rifle and one hand gun to Alaska to live not necessarily in the wild but to use for protection and hunting. . . what would you choose?

Probably a controlled feed bolt action rifle in .338 Win Mag., low power scope in the 2-4x range, and a .44 magnum revolver.

Both will put a serious hurt on anything that wants to hurt you. And, you could actually hunt with both. Shotshells in the handgun would even be good for birds that are close.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well If I were to be hunting a bunch I would go 338, but for S.D. for walking around, and maybe a little hunting I would go with an M-14 ( lots of bullets ) and a good .41 or .44 mag. For just walking around a good 12ga. with solid slugs like Brenekie is good. KurtM

RobC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't imagine myself actually hunting, but if I was walking around I would have a Glock 20SF and a SCAR H for the same reasons as KurtM (lots of bullets.) If for some reason I was to actually be hunting I would probably carry some sporterized 98 Mauser action in 8x57 and a Glock 20SF.

Although the last time I was in Alaska I only carried a Glock 19....that's it. If I was going today it would likely only be my daily carry Glock 22. It is fun to fantasize though.

Rob

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on where you'll be. If big bears are not going to be a factor, any of the above recommendations will do fine.

But, if you might have to kill a big brownie or a polar bear, consider a .375 H&H as a minimum. Consider .44 mag loaded with 300 grain lead to be marginal at best.

About "lots of bullets," you can kill bears with lots of .30 cal bullets, but it can take a while. In some situations that can be time you don't have.

Small handguns do have a use there. Shoot yourself before the bear gets you, or shoot your buddy in the foot and run like hell. And, always smooth off the front sight so it won't hurt so much when the bear shoves it up your you know what.

An old friend happened on some bear cubs and, being a tenderfoot, forgot to get away from them immediately. This pissed off momma bear mightily, and she charged him from about a hundred yards. He had an M-1 loaded with 180 grain silvertips. The seventh one hit the bear in the eye, and she died at his feet. He freely admitted to stupidity and amazing luck. Four rounds in the chest, two bounced off the skull, and the lucky eye shot. He put number eight in the other eye just to be sure.

Don't depend on being this lucky, and even if you are a superb shot, conditions can neutralize anyone's skill level. This is the only place where I consider the .500 Smith to have a realistic application. For bear defense I would carry an uber-reliable 12 ga loaded with Barnes slugs. The Federal rep told me that slug penetrates 48 inches of ballistic gel. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom