Bullet Casting: ?s On The Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Slowly getting closer to setting my reloading stuff back up (possibly with a new press), and for some sadistic reason I've developed an interest in casting some of my own bullets. Any basic guidelines on decent furnaces, molds, etc? What is junk and should be avoided? Helpful hints? I know this is kind of a niche thing, so I wanted to ask those of you who do to throw out some general advice on equipment and techniques. Thanks.

RustyW

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started casting my own about 5 or 6 years ago for .357/38 spl. I started with used RCBS molds that I found at a pawn shop. I bought a Lee sizer and used the LLA method to lube and size. After a few hundred boolits and spending a lot of time on the cast boolits forum I started casting for more calibers. I cast for .357/38, 9mm, .30cal rifle, .44, 45 acp & colt, & 45/70. I have at least 3 different style of boolits for each, some calibers I have more. I use the Lee 4/20 bottom pour drip o-matic. I've tried the ladle pour & just don't have the knack for it. I have mostly Lee moulds, mainly because they're light and with a little work they can be made to give good boolits. I have RCBS, Lyman, & Lee moulds and I like all 3 brands, I favor the Lee because it's cheaper, and the aluminum don't rust. It takes a little more heat to give good boolits and they don't hold heat like the iron moulds do, but I feel they're a good product. The only bad thing I've run into is the availability of lead. I used to be able to buy wheel weights for $20.00 for a 5 gallon bucket. Those days are gone around here.

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cast, on occasion 9mm with lee molds... but given mitch's prices, Ive just started buying from him... I'll save my lead for when I'm poor and let him do the work, for 61ish per thousand you can't go wrong... that said, when I do cast it's a 125 gr lee RN tumble lube... I thought I was getting leading but as it turns out it was normal... I used lead pipe with some monotype I bought off of ebay mixed in a 5/1 ratio.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I cast because all the equipment for casting is on loan to me from my f-i-l, so I didn't have the startup cost.

The molds I've used were both Lee, a 2 cavity 230gr .452 RN, and a 6 cavity 158gr .358 SWC. They take a while to get completely warmed up and give good bullets, but nothing bad.

So far I've just been 're-casting' as in, I melt down cast lead bullets I dug out of the backstop on my property and re-cast them.

I use a coleman 2 burner stove for heat, use a small lead pot and a dipper. Takes some practice, but not rocket science to get usable results. I'm by no means an expert. I've read on both sites above and learned a good deal.

458 SOCOM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My casting sessions are my relax time. I cast for .223, .270, .355, .357, .40, .41, .45

Keeps me in cheap bullets. I am down to my last 500 lbs of melted wheel weights. With 6 more 5 gallon buckets on the way.:rubhands:

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My casting sessions are my relax time. I cast for .223, .270, .355, .357, .40, .41, .45

Keeps me in cheap bullets. I am down to my last 500 lbs of melted wheel weights. With 6 more 5 gallon buckets on the way.:rubhands:

Where are you guys getting those? I figured they'd be hard to come by these days...

Latest posts

Top Bottom