where to buy rifled barrel for 12 guage shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am ready

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a mossberg 12 guage shotgun model 88 maverick. I am being told I should get a rifled barrel for it. Where can you get them and how much are they? What kind or size should I get? Also, you guys have said if I use the smooth bore barrel that my shotgun comes with to use improved cylinder to shoot slugs. Where can one buy chokes? I.e. the improved cylinder choke?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didnt your gun come with some chokes? If it came with 1 it is probably modified. If it came with 3 they should be IC= improved cyl, mod=modified
and f=full
You should find them at Walmart,Academy,Sportsworld, \Route66 guns in Sapulpa

You can order a rifled choke tube from Carlson's sporting goods Attwood Ks.
at www.choketube.com they make a ton of different tubes for skeet,trap,
turkey, tactical door breachers,rifled slugs and on and on.

Mossberg brand Rifle slug barrels should be available at Academy,Dong's, Sportsworld and others.
They carry a $170 retail price tag but should be available way below that price.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
any of your guys put a rifled choke into a smooth barrel? if so, does the rifled choke make much difference in accuracy?

i don't know if this will help, but there is a guy at Wanenamechers (sp) that has a ton of barrels.

regarding rifled barrels
- some have an attachment for a scope and usually not fixed sights
- some do not have this attachment but fixed sights.

- also i think you mentioned turkey hunting in a previous post - do not plan to hunt turkey with a rifled barrel. it is proven that when shooting "shot" through a rifled barrel, the rifling causing the wad/shot to spin. this causes an irratic patern and a larger than normal pattern not suited for shotgunning and especially turkey hunting where you need a tight pattern.

but, the barrel that came with your gun should work for turkey.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the links provided in the OPs other thread, it talks about the accuracy issues of rifled slugs, rifled chokes, and rifled barrels. Rifled Slugs can be very accurate, out to 50 yards. Sabots out of a rifled choke is about the same. But sabots out of a rifled barrel can be very accurate out to 100-150 yards, depending on the slug and the barrel.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wont argue that a rifled barrel is going to give the best accuracy. I will say that since I was 10, I have had 6 different rifles and up until my latest remington hunting gun, I still used an old Sears JC Higgins 12ga my grandpa gave me when I was kid to hunt deer. Using winchester 12ga rifled slugs, I have killed many deer out to 150 yrds (all kill spot shots) and could break the old 1 gallon glass apple juice jugs at 100 yrds consistently. Personally, I dont think there is any reason to get a rifled barrel. Just get some rifled slugs and call it good. If you wanted something to put lead out past 100 yards a shotgun wasnt the best choice.

I am ready

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am happy with up to 100 yards. I guess I thought it would only be accurate up to 50 yards. I will jusr get a ic choke and use it as is with slugs for deer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom