.50 Beowulf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outlaw

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I REALLY like the idea of this, but is there anything out there similar to this where I can just slap on a upper and go but uses more commercially available ammunition?

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
similar like what? similar to the .50 beowulf? I don't think so.
Wall has a .45acp ar but it wouldn't have quite the impact that a .50 beowulf would have.
maybe a 6.8spc. Not nearly as large in bullet terms, but still packs a nice punch.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.458 SOCOM

http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=423

Ammo is still $46 per 20 at the cheapest but damn that would be fun to shoot.

a458socomammo.com_assets_556_458_2.png

:mosh::fullauto:

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.458 SOCOM

Ammo is still $46 per 20 at the cheapest but damn that would be fun to shoot.

Which is why I went with .45acp, ~$16 per 50 & not so hard to get.

Also, replacement parts are an issue.
Mine uses std. off the shelf parts (slightly modified), not sure about the SOCOM or the Beo.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the 458 socom is being made by RRA now and one other company (cant recall the name). Not sure it would be THAT hard to find parts. I am seriously looking into the .458 socom. I've wanted an ar-10 .308 rifle for awhile but the ability to swap uppers with the .458 is very enticing.

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not the parts; Outlaw mentions "more commercially available ammunition" which definitely does not define the .458 socom. it's about on par with the beowulf (if not less available).
the .458 is cool as hell, but unrealistic unless you reload.
normal ar15, 6.8spc or go with the .308 ar, in my opinion.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not the parts; Outlaw mentions "more commercially available ammunition" which definitely does not define the .458 socom. it's about on par with the beowulf (if not less available).

This is the only option that is logical. Not only are you getting a bigger round with more potential "Stopping power", you are getting a longer range round.

Honestly, I dont care for the ballistics on the .458 Socom, .50 Beowulf, or .450 Bushmaster. If I want a short to medium range rifle, Im going with a UMP in .45ACP or do what wall did and get a .45ACP upper.

Reaction score

Yeah, exactly. So the answer is no - nothing in that general family of .45-50 cal, fit-in-.223-magwell, short-range magnum-buttstomper rounds will have off the shelf ammo at Academy, if that's what you mean. But I think they do have their place, as a heavy-but-soft-barrier penetrator**, or maybe a walking-hunting pig gun - very limited place however, other than cool factor. Of those, I like the .50 Beo the best of that general category of round.

As for the getting-sumpin-more-mainstream idea, don't forget to add the .243 Win and .260 Rem AR10 types to the .308 AR10 types, for your consideration, to add to what Jeff suggested. .338 Federal as well. And 7.62x39.

6.5 Grendel ain't *quite* an off-the-shelf round yet, is it? It's close, but I've seen 6.8 lyin around local stores, but don't remember seeing 6.5 grendel yet.

**small and fast penetrates thin hard barriers better, but big and slow penetrates a large quantity of softish barrier better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom