Best way to clean shotgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am ready

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is the third time I have shot my shotgun. (getting much better with the slugs and hit about 10 or 11 clays out of 15) I only had 15 birdshot shells. Anyway, this is the third time I have cleaned my gun and each time the mops leave stuff behind. It looks like little pieces of the fabric from the mops, but I am not sure if that is what it is. My first time I used the patches, but I ran like 15 or so patches through it and it still looked like crap so I started using the mops. I bought an extra 12 ga mop and use one with solvent and one with oil. I just can't get the barrel to look clean and smooth. Any tips?

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A "mop" is just a patch. What you're probably seeing in the barrel is plastic from the wad.

Run soaked patch or mop thru barrel and let sit a minute or two. Then scrub it with the proper gauge bore brush. Then run patches thru it until they come out clean. Then run a oiled patch down the barrel and you're done. With the inside of the barrel. Use gun scrubber, or a old tooth brush soaked in cleaner around in the chamber area and on the bolt. Wipe clean and oil. (be careful not to let a bunch of the gunky solution get down into the trigger group. Spray that last with gun scrubber and lightly oil it.) Then take a patch with cleaning solution and run it over exposed metal on the exterior, then oil that lightly. You're done.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
like 'Danny' said. i start with a brass brush, then i use a cut piece of old t-shirt putting a powder cleaning solvent on it. this piece is as large and as tight will go through the barrel. this way, it gathers all those little pieces of crud and pushes them out the end.

the trick is the piece of cotton fits in the barrel very tight and you push the crud out the end.

then once the crud is out, clean with a solvent patch and then an oil batch and your done.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I too have always had those mops leave a bunch of lint behind. No matter how easy you are with them they shed.

Boresnakes work very well on shotguns. I usually wrap a piece of cut t-shirt around a bore brush wet with solvent and push it through. Do this a couple of times followed with a dry one. Then I use the bore snake with CLP or Eezox for about 3 pulls. You barrel will shine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom