Problems with Rossi Youth Rifle 223

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.223 primer hardness varies a lot. I think it may have to do with mil spec vs civilian use specs. Still, the Rossi people need to fix the problem. I have had good luck with their revolvers and their single shot rifles, but this sucks. CB

Reaction score
don't shoot federal ammo. Shoot black hills and try some other ammo.

Why shouldn't he be able to shoot anything? It's not like it's military hard-primer ammo.

Don't threaten something you cannot back up.

He can back it up. He can sue them for a defective product if they don't make it right.

Sue them..why is this always the answer.

It's not. Nor is the lower thresshold of action I recommended as a possibility - just threatening to do so. But sometimes they are the right approach. Maybe one more time back with failure to fix before threatening action. But it sounds like they are being obtuse to him, and something needs to get their attention - they should have tested the rifle *before* sending it back to him the first time, given the known problem. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and the big company will screw over the little guy every time if they don't complain and demand a good quality product. These things are made in Argentina, where labor is cheap, and they sell a ton of them - they should work well, even with a low price.

Lots of guns are finicky with different ammo.

Semi-autos can be finnicky on feeding. That is acceptable in some cases. Failure to launch is unacceptable - sounds like a too-short pin.

Sometimes ammo has a hard primer, many times military ammo does.

Yes, but this ain't military ammo (is it?)

Does it make it bad, or the gun bad, nope.

I disagree. Failure to fire is unacceptable, and represents a defect, and most certainly makes the gun "bad".

Find what your gun likes and shoot it. No problemo. An inexpensive gun might just have a few limitations, if you want perfection and do all, then probably wrong weapon.

He doesn't want perfection; he simply wants it to FIRE standard ammo, and not risk injury from a hangfire. Not asking too much is it?

If there's one thing I'm convinced of, it's that WE the consumers must start to, and keep on, demanding quality merchandise, and demanding that companies back up their products. They're getting shoddier and shoddier, and the warranties & service are also getting shoddier & shoddier, as time goes by. It's a trend we must resist.

EDIT: Please throw out my entire post here if this was military ammo with hard primers: I thought that you meant commercial .223 ammo from Federal, with 55 grainers - that is implied since you said .223, not 5.56x45. Which is it - commercial target/hunting .223 rem ammo, or Federal-made 5.56x45mm .mil ball ammo? If the former, then my posts makes sense. If the latter - then I agree with ssgrock - you can't expect it to necessarily shoot hard-primer .mil ammo - wholly different specification of primer hardness there.

I was using Federal 223 55grain

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Federal has a tendency to make hard primers. I had a Browning A-Bolt and a Remington 700 that would shoot it, but there were occasional misfires with light primer strikes, mixed in with others in the same box that shot fine. If the gun is made within manufacturers specs, and the gun works fine with other brands of ammo, you can kiss law suit goodbye. It's a ridiculous option if it works fine with other ammo.

Want to sue someone, sue Federal for making hard primers.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alrighty, then. The Rossi single-shots are pretty much straight copies of H&R/NEF weapons. Hard primers/irregular primer seating are known issues with these. I have one with the same problem. Simple solution- I'm going to have my smith dust 0.025"- 0.050" off the face of the FP for more depth.

Latest posts

Top Bottom