Newbie Here...Question for 1903 Springfield/ RIA Owners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just recently picked up a high number 1903 Rock Island that is missing the rear sight assembly. It was removed by the previous owner who had used the rifle in match shooting and had an Unertl or Lyman scope installed as well as the Lyman 48c receiver and front globe sights that are still attached. Does anyone have experience removing and replacing the rear sight? If so, what does the replacement process involve? From everything that I have read it seems that the sight base should have two pins that secure it to the receiver but I do not see any evidence of this. Also, I do not know the correct sight style for a high number RIA so if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. The rifle is going to be a shooter and not any sort of collecter so I guess any 1903 rear sight will do if need be. Here is a pic of what I'm dealing with...thanks to anyone who can help. :thumb:

ai181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_1903RearSight004cropped.jpg

okkaps

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine isnt in front of me to get a better answer for you but here is a pic of my sight... my serial is 390xxx and is a RIA as well. Try m1903.com for a reference as well:

ai54.photobucket.com_albums_g94_aekdb390_DSC02656.jpg

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the sight housing you have pictured looks fine all you need is the leaf and base assy which are easy to find. you will usually see a lot of them at the larger gun shows. The rear sight housing is usually silver soldered on to the barrel.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine isnt in front of me to get a better answer for you but here is a pic of my sight... my serial is 390xxx and is a RIA as well. Try m1903.com for a reference as well:

[Broken External Image]

That pic is a huge help. Mine is a 363xxx so it should be exactly the same. Thanks!

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the sight housing you have pictured looks fine all you need is the leaf and base assy which are easy to find. you will usually see a lot of them at the larger gun shows. The rear sight housing is usually silver soldered on to the barrel.

Thanks for the info Ed. Do you happen to know a ballpark figure on how much the leaf and base would run at a local show? There are a couple of nice replacements on ebay right now, but I am assuming that they will go for at least $40 - $50+. Most of the buy it now prices are $55+.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Give me a couple days and I'll look and see what I have. I've got drawers full of mil sights. 25+ years of gunsmithing left me with a ton of parts.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely...I have a feeling that I'm going to be asking you guys' recommendations on a gunsmith to install the sight after I find a replacement. :o

All you do is drop it on and turn the knob.

So far the only "whole" sight I've found is a new in the wrapper one.
If I can find a slide cap screw and a hinge pin I can put one of the used ones together.

I even found an odd one in a drawer. The leaf is either zinc or aluminum.

The prices will run $30 +postage for a nice used one and $50+ postage for the new in wrapper one

Latest posts

Top Bottom