Oklahoma State and Oklahoma Section Matches

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the scoop on these matches? I see guys at the club matches wearing shirts from years past but I never hear about up coming matches. With the large amount of shooters in Area 4 I would assume either of these matches would draw a big crowd. Just curious as to how this stuff all shakes out.

Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't force a club to hold a section match all I can do is ask. I don't think you have any idea of the amount of work that goes into these type of match's. Maybe you could get your club to host a section match and you could be the Match Director. Next year when you run for Section Coordinator you can count on my vote.

Kelly Raglin
Oklahoma Section Coordinator

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kelly has asked Oklahoma Section clubs if any would host a State Sectional, for any one division or for all. No club has said "yes" and followed up. It takes a lot more than just a match director to put on a Sectional. That entire club, as well as some RO assistance from other clubs, is necessary to put on a quality match. I know; I've been MD for a few OK State USPSA championships.

The first step, long before volunteering yourself as MD, is to find a club willing to host a Sectional as well as sufficient staff, both RO's and everyone else necessary for that task.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once upon a time, all the USPSA affiliated club presidents had meetings. Regular meetings, in fact. Location would vary, but when I was club president, I recall just about everyone showing up each time.

At certain times of year, the topic of "who's hosting the state match" would come up. There would be discussion: "We had it last year, they had it the year before, so it's--" "Our turn, you bet! We got some ideas already and..."

Also, what they'd do is one club would be responsible for 1-2 stages. Duncan would bring the necessary props to set up a stage or two that they got a lot of positive feedback on, as would the other clubs.

The hosting club did NOT have to do everything, as seems to be the case now. Whether this state of affairs is real or imagined is another question.

I haven't been a club president for 14-15 yrs, so I don't know if these meetings are still held or not. I suspect they are not.

The OK State matches used to take two days to shoot and they had prize tables. I won my first gun at the 95 OK State match. They also had a lot of shooters from around the area.

Now, Duke can't make enough to break even.

This begs the question: "WHY THE HELL NOT?"

To be honest, there are several reasons. Perhaps the real question is, "WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?"

Yeah, that's the real question alright.

When I moved back to OK in 2001, I discovered that there had been a lot of changes. Some good, some not. It became apparent that the clubs were more independent, if not isolationist, from the rest of the clubs. This would be one of the not so good developments. A "Point Series" would go a long ways to addressing that, but no one has been interested in doing that since I first brought it up in the mid 90's.

I had raised some questions along with suggestions and, to be blunt, no one cared. Finally, I decided to see what I could do to change that and ran for SC, but Kelly won. Maybe it was just as well, as I might've been pretty damn frustrated to hit brick wall after brick wall.

I've put on two State matches, altho they were in another state and were IDPA, but I have an idea of what it took. I also had a prize table each time. The second time, I had 9 guns on the table.

There is some paperwork that is involved with sanctioning, maybe plan ahead and get the word out in Front Sight, but other than that, it seems to me that a club could simply add a stage or two, designate that match as a "State" match, print up some nice looking certificates and blast away.

For example, OKC gunclub had 80 shooters Saturday. This is more than some other State matches draw. Now that they have new bays, they could have a 10 stage match, plan for 120 shooters max, charge $45-60 for it and it would fill up. It would basically be a slightly longer day than the normal match. If they had more data entry help, etc, then it might even be a shorter day. I'd be willing to help, as would many people reading this.

Over recent years, I've talked to many of the club presidents about such things and the response is "It's a lot of work for us..." For some reason, the clubs think they have to do all the work, from stage design, set up, tear down, etc, etc. As I just said, I'd be willing to help, as would many people reading this.

I think we need to let the clubs in the state know that:

1) We'd like a state match

2) We'll provide as much help as needed to make it happen.

Who's with me?

Latest posts

Top Bottom