Electronic Powder Scale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are no more accurate than a good mechanical scale, but they are a lot faster and easier to use.

You still have to control the environment, since they measure both temp and pressure, and the temp needs to be held constant. Breezes affect them just like they do mechanical scales.

My electric scale came in the green box (RCBS) and works fine.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My DPS3 is nice, but I'd probably get the RCBS chargemaster if I was gonna do it over. I can't have the ceiling fan on when I'm using it and it gets a little stuffy in my reloading room.

Donald

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I first bought one of the el cheapo models on ebay, about $20. Was Ok but was battery powered only and did not have a wind cover. Drifted real bad. Finally I dropped it, now it only says "hello". Trashed it. Next bought a Lyman, I think it was either the 750 or 1000. It was nice, got it from BassPro. Nice hinged wind cover but it would not hold zero. Took it back after about 25 days. Many friends suggested a different scale, an Acculab 232 I think. Cost over $200. But I did a lot of research and found that almost all digital scales weighing unit is built in China except some of the really high priced lab scales. Finally I found one that seemed to fit my requirements. It has a hinged cover and does not drift hardly at all. Almost all these scales will drift a bit if you just leave the item to be weighed on the pan. But they settle down really quick. Most have to be re-zeroed or re-tared every so often. are sensative to RF and flourescent lights and wind. I can just pass my hand over mine and it will go all over the place. But when I check the zero it is spot one. I also had it checked against a very very expensive lab grade scale. Mine was was of only about .003 gram off. Close enought for me. This is the scale I finally settled on. http://cgi.ebay.com/30-x-0-002-gram...Model-138-/250620657486?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

I called the guy direct and talked to him. He even thru in a 110 adapter. I am pleased with this scale. But these type of scales are very sensative, the price you pay for accuracy.

Donald

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I called the guy Donald and he was very helpful. I think I will go the same way you did. I am trying to get him to throw in the a/c adapter for it.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 2 Cents.... If you are wanting to drop a couple of charges (especially if they are of different weights like when setting up a powder drop) then electronic is great.

If you are wanting to Drop a specific load or lots of loads that you need to be consistent then an old fashioned manual scale is the only way to go

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just want to use it to make sure I am getting an accurate reading when setting up the Dillon 550 to run big runs of competition ammo. I have been having trouble getting the right velocity even with more powder on the beam scale. I want to get it right and be sure I can dial the same load in again next time.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For now I'll stick with my old Hornady/Pacific fashioned beam scale. Sometimes simpler is better :D

+1. I find it very hard to believe that they would be any more accurate than the RCBS 1010 beam scale. I have a 505 but want one of these because they look like good quality highly accurate scales. After working in a lab I'm skeptical that the "reloading" electronic scales are that repeatable. A lab grade electronic will run wayyy more $$ than I want to spend for a reloading scale. YMMV

Latest posts

Top Bottom