Range Report - Eye Opener

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Today, I went to Tulsa Firearms to try out a new-to-me pair of .45 ACP acquisitions: a S&W 625 with 3" barrel and newly installed Mepro night sights; and a S&W 325 Night Guard. For back-to-back comparison purposes, I took along my Kimber CDP Compact 1911. The ammo was a 100-round box of 230-grain JHP WWB (I wanted to make sure the CDP, which is my CCW, would reliably feed a variety of JHP.)

Before I go any further, I want to say I consider myself a fair shooter. Not a marksman, by any stretch of the word ;) That having been said.... All shooting was done in a semi-Weaver stance at 10 yards, with about 1-2 seconds between shots. I was trying to shoot as quickly as possible but allowing the sights to settle in between shots, and without getting into any rapid-fire shooting.

First, I started off with the 625, shooting single-action to zero in the new Mepro sights. Recoil was not bad - it was a bit less than I'd anticipated, and the rubber Hogue grips probably took a lot of the sting out of the recoil. It was pretty loud, but muzzle flash wasn't particularly noticeable. The first few shots were slightly left and WAY high - I was aiming for the "A" in the center of the target the whole time. After some adjustments, I was able to bring the POI to the center line, but the shots were still going really high: about a foot or so above POA. I adjusted the elevation of the rear sight some more, but the shots were still going pretty high. I kept adjusting the rear sight until finally it was bottomed out, at which point the last few shots around the "A" were a result of aiming at the bottom of the border around the "A" area (about six inches high). I was surprised at how much the Mepro front NS threw off the aim, so I'm going to have to figure out what to do to try and bring the rear sight down some more. Otherwise, I may just remove the Mepro sights and reinstall the original blade sight and dab some bright orange paint on it. Not my preferred course of action, though.

[Broken External Image]

Next up was the 325, but at this point, I was out of loaded moon clips, and I'd forgotten to bring my moon clip tool with me. I managed to de-moon two clips with my fingers - not an easy thing to do - and load them with fresh rounds, but decided against trying any more clips due to lack of time. So I only put twelve rounds through the 325; the first six were single action (green circles), and the last six were double-action (red circles). I was shooting high, but I think it's because I was covering the "A" with the XS big-dot front sight, and the two outliers were my first two shots, with the rest closer to COM as I settled down in single-action. In double-action, obviously I need a lot more practice to get used to the stronger and longer trigger pull. I was throwing the shots way right, even as I was sighting more over the top of the front sight. Recoil was a bit stouter than with the all-steel 625, but still not too bad. Muzzle report and flash were a bit more noticeable, too. I think 50 rounds with this revolver wouldn't be too bad, thanks in large part to the rubber Hogue grip. Wood grips may look prettier, but I think I'll be sticking with rubber for practical reasons.

At this point, I was a bit disappointed with my shooting; I figured I was really out of practice and needed to work on my stance and grip. I picked up the Kimber, got into position, and quickly put seven rounds downrange, followed by another seven rounds. Total time from picking up to shooting the fourteenth round, probably 20 seconds. I reloaded both mags and emptied them several more times, switching between the two "A"'s. My last shots were the ones stretching out to the right from the target's head, so I knew it was time to quit. During the first few mags, however, I realized a large part of the reason for my lousy shooting was the firearm - I could tell my shooting was MUCH better with the 1911 and its single action mode.

[Broken External Image]

Interestingly, I found the recoil to be a bit sharper with the 1911 than with either revolver, when I'd expected it to be the other way around. I ascribe that at least in part to the wood/metal grip of the 1911 as opposed to the all-rubber grips on the two revolvers.

So, at least for me, the 1911 platform has reminded me why I fell in love with it in the first place. I still drool over the N-frame snubbies, but right now I'm having a hard time ranking it even as equals to my CDP when it comes to quick shooting into COM.

Any comments or suggestions would be most appreciated :)

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good range report Perplexed!

I hope you get a chance to come over to the range and shoot both of those... especially that 325 (I was drooling over one at Sooner guns last Friday).

One thing I'll ask about the 625, when you changed the sight, did you replaced it with a sight of the same height? If not, and you're bottoming out, you may want to pick up a different rear sight to compensate.

One other thing I'll point out... is you are losing an inch or so worth of barrel length over the Kimber, so don't be down on yourself too much! :)

Lastly, it appears to me that you're shooting better with the revolvers shooting DA... which almost makes me wonder if you're anticipating the recoil on the SA. The reason I say this, it seems to me that with the longer pull of the DA, your mind isn't thinking about the recoil as much and therefore... it's more of a surprise.

Any of this make sense or sound right?

BTW: Pics of the pistols are a must!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, Traxxis. I'll trade you some shooting with the revolvers for some shooting with your NHC ;)

I bought the Mepro sights - front and rear - that the tech on the phone told me would be suitable for the 625. Now I'm wondering if he was thinking of the longer-barreled versions...

And the Kimber has almost two inches on the 325 NG, but thanks for that reminder :D

Actually, I was shooting better SA (green circles) than DA (red circles). The longer and stronger trigger pull probably caused me to throw the shots to the right. I need to learn how to get a better grip on a revolver, having been taught how to shoot a semi-auto instead.

And here's a pic. Geez, you can be so demanding :P

[Broken External Image]

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you going to keep the adjustable rear sight on the 625? I like the looks of the C&S fixed rear on the 325. I think C&S carries a fiber optic front sight in various heights.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you going to keep the adjustable rear sight on the 625? I like the looks of the C&S fixed rear on the 325. I think C&S carries a fiber optic front sight in various heights.

I haven't figured out yet what my options are. I'd like to keep night sights on the 625, but if I can't come up with a solution for the rear sight, I'd be amenable to replacing it with something lower. So the C&S idea is appreciated - thanks!

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ah, my apologies, I misread. :)

I guess you must like those SA triggers!

I'd offer grip advice, but currently my only wheel gun is my little 638... which you just gotta hold on to however you can. :)
Thanks, Traxxis. I'll trade you some shooting with the revolvers for some shooting with your NHC ;)

I bought the Mepro sights - front and rear - that the tech on the phone told me would be suitable for the 625. Now I'm wondering if he was thinking of the longer-barreled versions...

And the Kimber has almost two inches on the 325 NG, but thanks for that reminder :D

Actually, I was shooting better SA (green circles) than DA (red circles). The longer and stronger trigger pull probably caused me to throw the shots to the right. I need to learn how to get a better grip on a revolver, having been taught how to shoot a semi-auto instead.

And here's a pic. Geez, you can be so demanding :P

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom