Texas Scout, H Schmidt, etc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyRocco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are there any of these german made sa 22 cowboy pistols worth anything? They seem to be trouble free and easy to get parts for. There seems to be a list of brand names that are all similar. Some look pretty good with nickel plating and pearl handles. Others have long barrels like a buntline replica. Many have two cylinders with 22 lr and 22 mag. I have several that have fired many rounds and have killed lots of cans.
Pawn shop prices always seem to be from $100 to $200. So, what does a person need to look for to get a good value in a single action 22?

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those German 22's from the 50's and 60's are nice little guns. One of the first pistols I ever shot much was a SAA marked JP Saur and Sohns...From what I've read... they built guns sold under several brand names- Hawes, among the group

Numerich usually has parts for those guns. The actions are pretty much straight up SAA copies. If any thing broke I'd expect the spring under the frame that raises the bolt would go first.

Pre-purchase? Check to see if the cylinder seems to be in time with the stop bolt... make sure the hand raises the notches and rotates the cylinder... check the forcing cone for cracks, and make sure the cylinder lock up tight in all six positions.

I'd expect those guns are worth + or - $200... and I'd rather spend that kind of money on a German used gun than a "Plinkerton" or Heritage Arms revolver.

JonnyRocco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Jef, I was about to decide no one knew what I was talking about. I thought these German guns might rate better than some of the newer cheap makers you mentioned. I had to replace the spring under the bolt on my Texas Scout, other than that is has been very reliable. Sounds like any that I find for sale are going to be pretty old.

What is a "forcing cone"?

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The forcing cone is the end of the barrel that faces the end of the cylinder.

I doubt you would ever crack a forcing cone on a 22... but sometimes they get full of lead and powder residue

Latest posts

Top Bottom