best 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsteele

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, I know this is going to stir up a hornet's nest, but I'm going to ask anyway. I have decided that I want a 1911 subcompact for my conceal gun. My question is: Which 1911 do you think is the best?

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, I know this is going to stir up a hornet's nest, but I'm going to ask anyway. I have decided that I want a 1911 subcompact for my conceal gun. My question is: Which 1911 do you think is the best?

I've been trying to figure out the same thing.

I've been torn between the Kimber Ultra CDP II (my favorite), the Para PXT Warthog (seems to have firing pin issues, though), and the Rock Island Armory 1911A1-45CS ($400 best-bang-for-your-buck 3" 1911 that I've found, excluding customs).

I've only shot my dad's 5" Colt and none of the above, so I'm left with only offering up what I've come across while researching them myself.

You might have better luck posting this same question in the Handguns section.

F16mickey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as 1911's go the sub compact models are usually the most problematic I have had a few and none of them have functioned properly. If I wanted a sub-compact 1911 style handgun I would look at the Springfield EMP. I have heard some good things about those. If you had your heart set on a .45 1911 I would stay above a 4" barrel!

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Para LiteHawg 3" and the one thing I noticed about it was that you cannot limp-wrist or you'll stovepipe the round. Super firm grip and it ran great, but relax even a hair and start clearing the FTE's.
It wasn't fun to shoot, so it went away.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a RIA compact .45 & have had ZERO problems with it.
I carry this pistol daily. Granted it's not stock, but I've not done anything to improve function.

I had it refinished by olyeller, but that's just cosmetic. While Mike was refinishing it I had him cut the slide for better sights.
I also changed the MS Housing to a VZ Ultralight 20 LPI Checkered & went with VZ GatorBack Grips.
The only change made to the internals was to swap the trigger for a Nighthawk lightweight skeletonized trigger. All other internals & springs are stock.

I know the concensus is that compact 1911's are iffy, but this one runs great & shoots pretty accurate.
While my Full Size was getting cut for new sights, I used this pistol for a USPSA match, I figured it was better than not shooting. Also, I thought it be a good test. If I couldn't use it for a match, I probably shouldn't depend on it for a carry pistol. Anyway, the gun ran fine thru the entire match with ZERO malfunctions. I can't say the same for me, but it definitely wasn't the pistol.

As with anything YMMV, but my experience has been great.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if the mods see this...enjoy your 24 vacation from OSA. Otherwise, my personal experience with a Kimber, Ultra Raptor II, says stick with a commander size gun, bobbed if you prefer or can afford it. I dont mind carrying cocked and locked, but dont trust an officer sized 1911 enough to drop that kind of money on one. The commander will most likely be more accurate, easier on recoil, and just more enjoyable to shoot, so can do double duty as a plinking gun.