New guy: renting at a range?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljb2of3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm new to firearms, never shot one in my life. However I've recently become interested in handguns, specifically the XD. Before I just run out and buy something I'd like to actually try shooting one.

I've spent the last month reading and watching everything I can online about the XD itself, gun safety rules, grip, stance, trigger pull, etc... I feel pretty confident that I could pick up one of these guns and safely put a few rounds downrange without any problems.

It seems normally new people go to the range with a buddy that already shoots, but none of my nearby family or friends own guns. Can I just drive up to Medlocks later today and rent a gun and try it out myself, or should I go actually take a handgun class first?

Thanks,
Landy

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might be able to meet you for a trip to Happy Hollow and you can shoot my Kimber (1911). You provide the ammo, I'll clean it after. You'll forget all about that XD.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'd be fine going to Medlocks. Just tell them your situation, and they would be happy to get you shooting safely.

They are good, friendly people, and they are in business just for people like you.

mikey176293

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
welcome to the world of shooting and welcome to the forum! as far as a rent place id suggest medlocks over tulsa firearms personally for friendliness. The xd is a great gun; not my choice over glocks or m&p, but a great gun. And your on the right track my learning the safety rules first

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I could not make up my mind between the XD and the MP, I rented both. It only took about 30 minutes of shooting and I went and bought a XD9. The only way you know what really fits you is to shoot it first. Good luck.

ljb2of3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Danny, I may take you up on that offer some time, 1911s look interesting too. However today I have to head out to Owasso anyways, so I think I'll go ahead and head up to Medlocks while I'm that close.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't lock yourself into just one gun, shoot the S&W M&P and a Glock as well. After shooting you might find that you like one a little better than the other.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Don't just stick with the plastic pistols either. Try a 1911, a Hi-power, a Beretta 92fs, a Sig 220, etc. etc... I own both plastic and metal framed pistols but I really prefer the metal. They're just funner to shoot IMO.

sleeperx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't lock yourself into just one gun, shoot the S&W M&P and a Glock as well. After shooting you might find that you like one a little better than the other.

This is great advice. I was leaning towards the XD until I went to H&H in okc and rented the XD, glock, and M&P back to back to back. Turns out I liked the feel of the M&P best and it grouped the best, for ME anyways.

ljb2of3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Not to worry, I intend to try out lots of guns before I buy one. I'm just starting with the XD since that is the one that caught my attention first. The more research I do, the more I find different guns I'd like to try out. I'm afraid I'm going to end up addicted and feel the need to own *all* of them once I get started!

Latest posts

Top Bottom