How long does it take to get used to carrying?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamiltoe

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I have a question to those who have been carrying for a while. I just recently got my CCL and have been carrying some. When I do carry, I can't help feeling that everyone is watching me and/or paranoid that someone will spot me. So, how long does it take to get totally comfortable carrying?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on whether you're 'laid back Larry" or "Nervous Elk" (Paul Linde character in The Villian)

I carried open in KY for several years before either KY or OK had concealed carry, so it was a relief when OK finally got SOME kind of legal carry.

justinsaneok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry around the house and on the farm so I forget I have it most of the time. I never had this issue. If I were you I would keep it on you and it will soon be forgot. Just remember to take it off when you take a shower. Or pay your speeding ticket

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In about 2-3 weeks when you figure out that nobody notices you've got a gun and and nobodies gonna freak out, and after you've been around a few people like your wife/girlfriend, people that should notice if something has changed on you, and they don't, then that funny feeling you have will go away.

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was a bit jumpy for a while, but it definitely passed. My wife, admittedly, eyeballs me pretty often, and most of the time she doesn't have a clue if I have my pistol on me or not. You eventually get used to the extra weight where you have it stowed.

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good holster and a sturdy belt that holds the weapon in place, and you will get over the fidgeting and checking fairly quickly. I don't think you will or should ever forget you have it on, but, you won't think about it. You will get into habits that keep your weapon clear of obstacles and you will do it without thought. I'm a big guy and I have my .45 on my right hip and my cell phone on my left so armed chairs can easily catch one or the other. But I don't think I have had a conscious thought on it while sitting down in a year or so. And that was a serious issue for me in the first month or two. Clanked the butt of the pistol a lot and snapped 3 phone holsters before I got the hang of it.

If on the other hand, your holster or belt is insufficient to hold the weapon in place, you will be reminder constantly. An extra notch tighter on the belt never hurts.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A good holster and a sturdy belt that holds the weapon in place, and you will get over the fidgeting and checking fairly quickly. I don't think you will or should ever forget you have it on, but, you won't think about it. You will get into habits that keep your weapon clear of obstacles and you will do it without thought. I'm a big guy and I have my .45 on my right hip and my cell phone on my left so armed chairs can easily catch one or the other. But I don't think I have had a conscious thought on it while sitting down in a year or so. And that was a serious issue for me in the first month or two. Clanked the butt of the pistol a lot and snapped 3 phone holsters before I got the hang of it.

If on the other hand, your holster or belt is insufficient to hold the weapon in place, you will be reminder constantly. An extra notch tighter on the belt never hurts.

+1 on this.I've been carrying concealed for over 20 years and I feel strange the few times I'm not.If you see me and it's not a prohibited area,I'm carrying.I think carrying a lot helps get you used to it.You carry a wallet everyday and you're used to it right?

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was a bit jumpy for a while, but it definitely passed. My wife, admittedly, eyeballs me pretty often, and most of the time she doesn't have a clue if I have my pistol on me or not. You eventually get used to the extra weight where you have it stowed.

Same here.

There's been times where we spent the whole day and evening in OKC and she still hasn't noticed... but she's learned that 99% of the time that we are not going to a statutorily prohibited place I am carrying.

Latest posts

Top Bottom