Outfitting a Rem 700 SPS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to get me a 700 SPS while they have the rebate going. Plan to get a .308 paper puncher. Having never been a hunter or precision shooter I'd like to expand my horizons.
Any suggestions on best bang for buck rings and scope for this rifle? I think I will want the Harris swivel bipod. If the interest sticks I'm sure I wil upgrade the stock on down the road, maybe even the trigger. Probably stick to 200-300 yard ranges since that what I have easy access to.
Thanks!

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Harris will be a good choice. The distance you want to shoot will be a major factor in what scope you will want. Under 300 yards? 3-9x will work fine. Get a 3-9x40 Leupold or Nikon and you will be very happy. Yes, you could get higher priced scopes, but they won't really be necessary considering what you plan to use it for.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, don't stick a "Shooters Edge" (Ridge, whatever) under the PSS. Harris is the most solid/lightest weight, at the moment. Several copies are out, but they have plastic knobs, and poor threading for cheapo fasteners.

SWFA is a good place for optics. Burris Signature line is good and reasonable; Leupold VariXIII s are nice.

David D

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i got a remington 700 SPS varmint in .308 i usually shoot anywhere from 100 to 250+ yards. i do got the harris bipod on mine too. as for the glass i got a nikon prostaff 3-9x50 with the BDC. it does me just fine at those ranges.

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i bought a 700 aac and put a nikon monarch 4-16x42 mil dot.nightforce 20 moa base and burris tacticool rings. i got a shooters edge rock mount or whatever it's called bipod, and haven't had trouble with it yet. plan on uprading to a harris when this one goes out

Reaction score
Any suggestions on best bang for buck rings and scope for this rifle?

Depends - Best bang for the buck depends upon what general range you're willing to go.

Best bang for the buck over $2,500?
Best bang for the buck 2000-2500?
1500-2000?
or what?

Also, what's gonna be your most likely distances that you'll be shooting at the most? 50, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, or more yards?

Without knowing more about the parameters, I'd say probably a Sightron SIII target scope or Weaver T series target scope or Super Sniper target scope. Rings: One-piece base w/double dovetail (Leupold), or some steel weaver-styles with Warne Maximas or Leupold PRWs.

Bevenue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Sightron SII 4-16x42mm Big Sky on my 700P. Also changed the trigger over to a Jewell. So far I love it. If I had known you were looking yesterday I could have let you taken it for a test drive.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
If you're looking at the SPS, get the Harris bipod as mentioned, $65 at swfa.com, get a good base and rings, and do some research on about a scope. Know your budget for the optics, and look in that. You can punch paper that way. Next thing I'd recommend is a new stock. The Bell&Carlson stocks are a good stock for the money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom