Smith and wesson model 18 no dash

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
the rarity and the fact that so few are in the hsnds of collectors

Post-war 5" pre-model 27. Their not that rare, and that one looks to have been around the block a few times. Not trying to doubt what you stated about it, but I think someone got taken. JMHO!

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's my original thread about this gun on the S&W forums. Blue book value is 10G, and ALL of them are in pretty much the same condition.

These guys actually keep a list of who owns which numbered gun. It's the rarest of the rare in the S&W realm.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-hand-ejectors-1896-1961/99283-357-transitional-postwar-value.html

Tom

that was a neat read.

Interesting factory adornments though (like the hammer).

I gotta admit, at a shop or show, I might have picked that up and looked at it, but would have figured it as over priced if it were anything over 6 or $700.

Pays to be informed! :)

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
never say never when collecting SW revolvers.

I'd figure that SW 18 is nickled also. There is a rumor that a couple of SS 18's came out of the factory,, but I'd imagine they have been in a collection for years.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
never say never when collecting SW revolvers.

I'd figure that SW 18 is nickled also. There is a rumor that a couple of SS 18's came out of the factory,, but I'd imagine they have been in a collection for years.

This is true, S&W always has a surprise or two. Like Traxxis I would have thought the seller was a brick shy or two with a price like that. I tend to stay up on my S&W revolvers, but I don't get into all the collectables. As to S&W ever producing a model 18 in stainless steel, well they may have, and knowing S&W they may have a couple of hundred in their vault, it wouldn't surprise me, they have done this before.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The funny thing is, that $9000.00 revolver was picked up for $250 from a friend, and hung in his shop for years on a hook, until he finally figured out what it was.

AND he's a gunsmith with the blue book on his shelf!!

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The funny thing is, that $9000.00 revolver was picked up for $250 from a friend, and hung in his shop for years on a hook, until he finally figured out what it was.

AND he's a gunsmith with the blue book on his shelf!!

Not a bad investment at all! I, too, would have been fooled by this rare revolver and had no idea it was that valuable. Pays to check those serial numbers!