Gun Oxidation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad just gave me a Hawes .22 Single Action revolver that has been sitting in his safe for as long as I can remember. It has some very ugly oxidation all over the main frame of the revolver. This particular gun has two cylinders, one for .22 LR and the other for .22 Mag. I am wanting to clean it up. Can I remove the oxidation without affecting the finish? Or will I have to somehow strip it down below the finish and refinish it? Any info or help is greatly appreciated.

Now adding pics (hopefully). Click the thumbnail to view full size.

[Broken External Image] [Broken External Image]

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it pitted? If it's just surface rust, 0000 steel wool "might" take care of it... but chances are if it's been rusting for a while, it's going to need more than that.

Pics would help.

ohms

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad just gave me a Hawes .22 Single Action revolver that has been sitting in his safe for as long as I can remember. It has some very ugly oxidation all over the main frame of the revolver. This particular gun has two cylinders, one for .22 LR and the other for .22 Mag. I am wanting to clean it up. Can I remove the oxidation without affecting the finish? Or will I have to somehow strip it down below the finish and refinish it? Any info or help is greatly appreciated.

Birchwood Casey Blue and Rust remover, followed by Perma Blue & 0000 steel wood. I'm no professional but have used these products for years with good results. Follow the instructions.

http://www.outdoorbunker.com/Birchwood-Casey-s/1046.htm?gclid=CPuz0Nz38aMCFcpl7Aod7VDv2w

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, stayed up most of the night working on this gun. The barrel looks brand new along with the cylinder. The pistol looks much better then it did, but it seemed like the bluing did not want to stay on the body of the gun? I followed the directions to the letter and everything came out great, except the actual body of the gun? Any ideas? Did I polish too much after the bluing?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try a magnet.
A lot of Hawes had pot-metal/aluminum frames.
you may need aluminum black instead of cold blue.

Aluminum oxidizes - steel rusts

Latest posts

Top Bottom