Rebarreling a mosin...to .44 Mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalebiscool

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So i have been looking at people talking about doing this on a bunch of other forums. I actually checked and the .44 mag will feed out of the Mosin magazine. i would just have to fabricate a follower. (on an off topic note, it will also feed a .410 shotgun shell) I found some barrel blanks here 44 blank . Am i off my rocker here? just throwing retarded ideas around because i cant afford a 94 marlin or an M77 in 44 mag? I am not sure. I know this would not be easy, but short of cutting the barrel threads and chambering i am sure i could do it all my self.I stayed up late last night watching the storm come in, staring at a recently acquired 91/30 barreled action. Maybe this is just lack of sleep talking...

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you ever heard of stubbing a gun?
The existing barrel is cut short and threaded to fit the new barrel
The new barrel is threaded and fit inside the old barrel stub.

Yea its work but it works.

kalebiscool

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks CB but i already welded a loop on the back of the safety. That has to be the poorest designed safety of all time.

And that barrel stub thing... so you have to drill out the old barrel and tap it to accept the outside threads you would have to cut on the blank? That seems dangerous and unnecessary.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks CB but i already welded a loop on the back of the safety. That has to be the poorest designed safety of all time.

And that barrel stub thing... so you have to drill out the old barrel and tap it to accept the outside threads you would have to cut on the blank? That seems dangerous and unnecessary.

That is the only method I have seen that tames the safety. I suspect the Soviets didn't use the safety much in combat. I had a sniper that I hunted with some, and it was a highly accurate, heavy, hard kicking pain in the ---. It would roll a coyote at 200 yards. Never shot at a deer with it.

I think you would be better off looking at a rifle already chambered in .44 mag. I know where you can buy a Ruger .44 mag carbine for a little over $500. Pm me if you want the info.

I don't know about the barrel stub deal. Sounds doable, but gunsmith fees tend to run up, and you'd still have the MN configuration. Real strong action, and okay as is if you don't want a scope. .44 is a close up round, and most folks do okay with iron sights. CB

kalebiscool

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
WoW MoBoost, there must be something wrong with those people on snipers hide. They have shilen blanks and nightforce scopes on 65 dollar MN actions that are only rated to like 45k PSI. Why not spend like 50 more dollars and get a Mauser action... or a few hundred and get a Rem 700 or Savage 110? Ha and on that note i should do the same thing and buy a 77/44.

Latest posts

Top Bottom