Taurus PT 1911 review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Stand by for all the Taurus sucks hate mail.

ai25.photobucket.com_albums_c74_olyeller14_avatars_evil.jpg

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
OK, got that out of the way, with all seriousness, That review reads just like gun rag trash.

With its hand-fitted assembly, custom features, and long list of premium-design accessories, how can Taurus possibly afford to sell the PT 1911 at such a low cost?

this guy knows the sham-wow guy. Really well.

For all intents and purposes, the PT 1911 is assembled with what we in the U.S. would call a “custom shop” approach.

This type of jargon from a sales person is what I call "horsedump".
Not every thing in "quotations" means its true.

Slides and frames on both the blued and stainless versions are Taurus-forged, not cast, and are individually hand-fitted to match-level tolerances during assembly.

ok, Ill give em this one. Ive seen a lot of sh!tty guns at some matches.

The forged match-grade barrels (stainless on both the blued and stainless guns) are also individually fitted, with a polished feedramp, polished barrel throat, an air-gauged solid barrel bushing, plus a hardened barrel link and lug for long wear and an enduring fit in heavy-duty use. Each PT 1911 hammer/sear/trigger setup is individually fitted and tuned, receiving a U.S. gunshop-equivalent “trigger job.” The internal extractor is individually tuned. There are no “drop-in” parts.

If anyone who's looking for their first 1911 can tell me what all that stuff means and why its good, Ill build them a gun.

All accessories and operating controls are individually fitted.

This is what you would call anywhere from an outright lie to stretching the truth. Depending on their definition of "fitting".

Taurus has become a national leader in MIM technology

yay for taurus.

To answer your question, its not a bad entry level gun if youre willing to live with cheaply made and ill-fitted custom like parts.
Its not the deal of the century either, not even close. A STI Spartan is a better starter 1911.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hater.....
:tounge2:
OK, got that out of the way, with all seriousness, That review reads just like gun rag trash.

For all intents and purposes, the PT 1911 is assembled with what we in the U.S. would call a “custom shop” approach.

The forged match-grade barrels (stainless on both the blued and stainless guns) are also individually fitted, with a polished feedramp, polished barrel throat, an air-gauged solid barrel bushing, plus a hardened barrel link and lug for long wear and an enduring fit in heavy-duty use. Each PT 1911 hammer/sear/trigger setup is individually fitted and tuned, receiving a U.S. gunshop-equivalent “trigger job.” The internal extractor is individually tuned. There are no “drop-in” parts.

If anyone who's looking for their first 1911 can tell me what all that stuff means and why its good, Ill build them a gun.

This is what you would call anywhere from an outright lie to stretching the truth. Depending on their definition of "fitting".

yay for taurus.

To answer your question, its not a bad entry level gun if youre willing to live with cheaply made and ill-fitted custom like parts.
Its not the deal of the century either, not even close. A STI Spartan is a better starter 1911.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Once all the parts are replaced they're not bad guns, and they were a much better deal when they first came out.

The last time I looked they were going for $600 plus/minus a bit which is a little hard to stomach when that will buy you a Spartan or get you into a used/new Springer depending on options.

I can promise you that nothing in the Taurus 1911 is hand fitted, everyting rattles around and the checkering kinda sucks. Fiddle with a nice 1911 for a bit and the differences are really apparent.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

yay for taurus.

That is a great post!

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The ejector had broken off since the last time I shot it and you took the slide off. It was just being held on by the slide at that point.

The front sight on mine went airborne one day, the thumb safety snapped off, the rear sight fell out, and one of the firing pin block parts broke.

It's a gun full of crappy parts yet advertised as a top notch hand built gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom