AR-15 reloads for 223

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like everything else, it depends.

Trial and error.

My current load is 25.2 gr TAC under a 55gr Hornady FMJ in mixed brass with Wolf Small Rifle Magnum primers. Dunno how it groups. Dings steel at 300 yards with an EOThingy out of a chrome-lined tube.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too many unknown variables You have to tell us what you are wanting to do and exactly what you have and then maybe we can give you a place to start at best.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just got an AR and wanted to buy some bulk components to start reloading for it. I was curious on what worked best for everyone on here. Then I was going to start working up a few loads based on that.

I have a 16'' barrel W/ 1-9 twist so I know I'm going to nees to shoot lighter bullets.

Savage250

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That 1/9 twist will shoot heavier bullets. I've got a 16" 1/9 DPMS Bull barrel that shoots the 60SBK HP's really good. I can't remember the exact weight in powder right now but I use H4895 with a CCI BR4 primer with mixed brass. I like the way it shoots and I'm really picky.

If you don't have a bore snake, you need one. It will make short notice out of cleaning when you're breaking it in.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like 23.5 grains of AA-2230 with a 55 grain fmj, works in my ar and in my mini-14 quite well. A little warm in my contender, I drop back to 22 grains in it. No gas mechanism to bleed off the pressures and a tighter chamber. In my bolt rifle, I shoot 23 grains of 2230 with a home made 57 grain jsp made from 22 rimfire cases. I also like AA-2015 (23 grains with 55gr fmj) , and Varget for 223. If I am shooting in extreme temps, I like to use vithavuori N-133 at 23 grains with a 55gr fmj. It delivers more consistent pressures at temperature extremes than other powders I have tried. Before you use the above load data, double check against other published sources. Stay safe. Those loads work in my firearms, but use at your own risk. Blitzfike

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use RP Brass, 23.5 grn of H322, CCI Small Rifle Primer, and Hornady 55 grn FMJ. Shoots and groups well at 100 yds from my Bushmaster with 14.5" barrel. I'm using an Eotech HWS so I can't comment on greater distances but I can hit paper at 200yds. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom