Lead or full metal jacketed 22LR????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88horizon

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was reading an article the other day that was saying use only FMJ 22LR because the Lead will build up in the barrel. Then I read another saying that you should not use the FMJ rounds because the jacket will wear down the barrel. What would be the best for a 5.5 inch barrel (pistol) and the 18.5 inch barrel (Ruger 10/22)?

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I almost always use FMJ in .22lr. Its not as messy as lead and it seems to cycle better. As far as wearing it down faster? Unless you shoot 10,000 rounds in a year I doubt youll notice much of a difference. Whichever ammo you use any weapon will benefit greatly from a good cleaning.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Mostly the Federal 550 value packs. They work well in my 10-22 and I have very few FTF or FTE. Usually just start to happen if I havent cleaned in a while. Also if I spend a little more I havent found anything that wont fire a CCI Mini-Mag.

Leadlobber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No such thing as FMJ in .22 rimfire .22 mag yes .

Cheap .22s are copper washed .

My Rugers like Fed auto match from Wally world not the cheapest about 14.50 for 325 rounds but they shoot pretty good.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

My Rugers like Fed auto match from Wally world not the cheapest about 14.50 for 325 rounds but they shoot pretty good.

I like the Automatch too. But I'll take most anything Federal in the rimfire stuff. CCI is good stuff too, but I just always grab the Federal.
Remington rimfire shells are crap these days.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Kind of what I was getting at. I had never seen FMJ or even jacketed at all in .22lr. Correct on the .22mag and even then not true FMJ....soft point jacketed or HP jacketed.....not saying FMJ is not out there....I've just never seen it.

I doubt the difference in barrel wear between the plated (copper washed) .22's and plain lubed lead .22's would be measurable in less than say.....10,000 rounds.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As far as "lead buildup in the barrel" goes, that is complete horse hockey... just clean your barrel every once in a while!

The only time I've ever seen a problem in copper coated vs lead, is on the feed ramp of some .22s
I've had to remove some deposits on the feed ramps, because of machine marks on the ramps. Polished the ramp, and the problem disappeared.

Latest posts

Top Bottom