Why does anybody use facebook?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About a year ago, my oldest son sent me a link to his facebook page.
It required me to register and log in. I did so, and looked at his page. Some really nice eye candy there.:D
Within an hour I had dozens of people wanting to "friend me"?
Some I knew, most I didn't.
Almost immediatly I started having computer problems, and after two hours of intensive work finally found out that I had malware, and viruses.
Deleted the account and changed all of my passwords, and finally got rid of them.
Tonight my youngest son sent me a link to get on his facebook page, and "no password required".
Did it, and my Mcaffee immediatly kicked in and said I had problems.

I hope its done. I'm slow on my connection now
Why in the heck does anybody want to get on these POS sites?????
Sent them an email that if they want to get with me, just sent me an email.
I don't need to fight the crap these social networks put out.

prophet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never once had any of the problems your talking about with face book or my space*

* my space was during high school and is now irrelevant

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't click on some of those links.

Not picking on you dennis, but its kinda like obama trying to tell BP how to handle the offshore drilling. Some people know where there doing and others don't.

My aunt and uncle had a big rant the other night about young people don't know how to count change, because the girl couldn't break a 100 dollar bill for a 3.xx purchase. I replied, on the other hand I have been stuck behind a gray hair that couldn't do a simple debit/credit card swipe on a self swipe reader. She didn't know to hit cancel and run it as credit so that she didn't have to use a PIN.

Some things are more generation specific.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have a single issue. I've run different pieces of security software run daily scans and not a single issue. Sorry for your bad luck with it, but I use it for communicating with old friends, talking to coworkers and other stuff

I do the same with email??
Why does one want to use these sites??
Employers and LEO's are using them to bust people.
Just saw a news thing yesterday where a detective that goes after parole violaters says these sites are like hitting a gold mine.

I'll never get on there again for the above reasons..... Send me an email or contact me on OSA.

OKIE-CARBINE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i dont want to insult your intelligence, but you have to be aware of how things work on the interwebz. just dont go clicking on stuff. if somebody wants to add you and you dont know them, report it. myspace is horrible about spam, facebook, not so much. i think i have had 3 fakers try to add me in a couple years i have been on there. facebook is great to keep up with friends and family.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I'm a tech guy, and I got caught off gaurd by some video that was going around a couple of months ago and downloaded some crap that I had to clean off, I either wasn't really paying attention, or I'm not that good of a tech guy. What really made it embarrassing is, if you try to install the video player, that same video (which isn't the most PG looking video)gets forwarded to all of your FB friends and a lot of my FB friends are co-workers and I'm their tech support...oh man, I should look for another career.

prophet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do the same with email??
Why does one want to use these sites??
Employers and LEO's are using them to bust people.
Just saw a news thing yesterday where a detective that goes after parole violaters says these sites are like hitting a gold mine.

I'll never get on there again for the above reasons..... Send me an email or contact me on OSA.

Im not concerned with my employer or LEO's checking my face book, and if i was i wouldnt add them as friends whilst i have my privacy settings on max or post anything that i could get stuck for.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You don't click on some of those links.

Not picking on you dennis, but its kinda like obama trying to tell BP how to handle the offshore drilling. Some people know where there doing and others don't.

I'm gonna let this one pass without further comment.
I make my living using and programing state of the art industrial control systems.
I'm not a newb using the net nor any of the functions related to it.:bighug:

Latest posts

Top Bottom