Do You Have SHTF Plan?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a relative who has accumulated somewhere in the neighborhood of 5000rds because he swears by the .22 caliber. My opinion is that it's not enough to put someone down unless you hit them between the eyes.

The key to .22 ammo for SHTF isn't necessarily for your own defense. You can still have your .45 or .308 or 12ga or whatever and have enough ammo for it.

When I talk about .22 ammo it's to stockpile as trading stock and use both. Almost every closet in America has a .22 rifle or pistol. The ammo is cheap, easy to store, lightwieght, easy to divide into smaller amounts and will work for killing things to eat and defense as well.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can keep some long term storage food, but the main things I suggest are like the chunky soups, canned chicken, rice, beans, etc. Many have at least a 2 year shelf life and you can make some tasty meals from them.

That 2 year shelf life is a misnomer ... if it is stored properly those canned goods will last much longer than the expiration date. I ate some tomato soup the other night that was 18 months past the expiration date on the can (fully 3 years in the can). Tasted fine ... I am still here.

I know it is a "girl" thing and not romantic at all but it is something you guys need to think about (esp. if your other half is not too much into this stuff) proper storage and rotation of food items can be more important than how much you store, especially as you get more things. Not gonna do you a bit of good (nor will it earn you brownie pts. with the s/o) if you store a bunch of stuff only to have it go bad on you and have to throw it out ... Won't do you any good either if the SHTF and you go to your long-term storage to find it spoiled or bug-infested.

That's one carb heavy meal. If your not active and burning calories that will do nothing but add fat to your mid section. White rice is one thing I'd leave out of my food storage. It's been so bastardized by the time they are done with it no nutrition value is left. Have the beans, add some chicken, skip the rice. No since in going into a SHTF deal all fat and obese.

I was wondering about all the carbohydrates as well. It's good to have a high-carb diet if you're active but otherwise, it will do nothing more than slow you down.

On the other hand, the cans of beef stew and chili is a really good idea. They have long enough shelf life that you could stock up on them for fairly cheap without having to worry about something going bad.

If you guys are talking about the Zombie Apocalypse you are gonna need those carbs ... In Dec 2007 when we were without power for a week, I ate a lot of carb-heavy high calorie meals but actually lost weight. There were several reasons for that ... 1) I was doing more physical work (bringing in wood and keeping a fire going, helping neighbors clear downed limbs, etc.) and 2) living in a house that was literally 25 to 30 degrees cooler than I was used to. We only used the generator at night to knock the chill off ... during the day and evening hours we used the fireplace. Either way, it wasn't that nice balmy 75 to 78 degrees I was accustomed to. :grumble:

You would be surprised at how many calories you will burn off even if you are only moderately active in a non-climate controlled environment.

I would rather die than eat an MRE or any of those nasty pre-prepared "stews". Canned soups are good, mixed with some rice or noodles -- I prefer brown but white does store longer. However, again, if you store properly and rotate stock I have had brown rice that was two years old that was fine. General thought is it only lasts 6 months to a year before it goes rancid. My guess is they are storing it under "normal" household conditions. I don't do that.

I would NOT trade for my Buckmark (OK, OK, OK ... GC's Buckmark) or my 10/22 (he has one of his own thank GAWD!!). Not that we don't have bigger caliber guns also but .22 are just so versatile. Like others have pointed out here, good shot placement is generally a lot more feasible (and responsible) than spray and pray tactics.

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's one carb heavy meal. If your not active and burning calories that will do nothing but add fat to your mid section. White rice is one thing I'd leave out of my food storage. It's been so bastardized by the time they are done with it no nutrition value is left. Have the beans, add some chicken, skip the rice. No since in going into a SHTF deal all fat and obese.

If things get to the point that all of you are thinking, carbs will be the last of your worries. You will kill and eat anything with hair on it, and look real hard at the things that don't.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

BB explained it all nicely above. Besides I am not fat, it is a cleverly designed modular food storage system. :D

Seriously if things do get to that point any food that keeps you going is going to be better then nothing and if you are doing heavy labor you are going to burn those carbs quicker then you think.

Latest posts

Top Bottom